SEO tips from a guy who doesn’t know SEO
Aside from not blogging recently, I have been spending alot of time speaking with folks in the online marketing space as I work on building the go-to-market strategy and machinery for VMTurbo. One area which I knew little about when I started having these discussions (although now I do know a little bit more!) is SEO. Here are some tips I’ve picked up over the last few months:
- Content is king: Make sure you have lots of content on your site, that you update it regularly. Create an editorial schedule that states when you will post, and on which topic, and then stick to it! Although frequent updates are good, just getting started and sticking to a regular schedule (even if it means you’re only posting every couple of weeks or once a month) is still very useful.
- Get Links-the more relevant, the better: The more links you get from relevant and respected sites, the better your SEO ranking. For example, 1 link to your company’s website from a nytimes.com article about your industry on is going to be weighed more highly than 10 links from blogs that have nothing to do with your industry.
- Make your content SEO friendly: There are consultants as well as products and services that can help you make your site SEO friendly. Make sure you are doing something to help make your site more appealing to the search engine crawlers. In some cases, especially if you’re a web-based business, it may make sense to develop the SEO expertise in house. One SEO friendly practice is using META tags with the specific keywords you’d like to rank for, and to include those keywords within your content text as well. On the flip side, sites that are too Flash heavy often don’t index well with Google.
There’s no rocket science here, but if you’re an SEO newbie, I think these tips can definitely help you get going in the right direction.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Search Engine Optimization: What’s The Big Deal? (ronmedlin.com)
- Why Get The Services Of An SEO Agency? (ronmedlin.com)
- Traffic The Key To Success (ronmedlin.com)
- SEO Experts Tips On Local SEO (ronmedlin.com)