At Exelon, we’ve got a place for you! Join the nation’s leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits. Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 150 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
Constellation is headquartered in Baltimore, with regional offices in Chicago, Houston, Kennett Square, Louisville, New York, and Omaha. We develop energy management strategies that help customers buy, manage and consume energy. Our retail unit is among the largest and most comprehensive in the industry with approximately 1 million residential customers that rely on our commitment to innovation, dependability, transparency, and service.Our wholesale business serves utilities, municipalities and co-ops and features world-class risk management and energy trading capabilities.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
The GenCo Strategy & Innovation team focuses on executing Exelon’s long-term corporate strategic plan within the Exelon Generation affiliate, including crafting and execution of specific strategic initiatives. This position is within the Constellation Technology Ventures (CTV) group, Exelon’s venture capital organization, which is part of the GenCo Strategy & Innovation team. CTV drives innovation by investing in venture-stage energy technology companies that can provide new solutions to Exelon’s operating companies and its customers. Beyond providing capital and management expertise, CTV aims to drive value for its portfolio companies by providing active connectivity to Exelon’s operating companies. This position is part of the investment function within the CTV team with responsibility for helping to inform and execute the CTV team’s objectives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1 Proactively source, screen, and identify new investment opportunities by meeting with entrepreneurs, investors, and other market participants
2 Perform/coordinate all aspects of the investment due diligence process, including technical, competitive/market, financial, regulatory, legal, etc.
3 Lead the investment structuring process for new and follow-on investments, including negotiation of terms, coordination with internal support groups, and document execution
4 Develop investment theses and draft investment memorandums for prospective investments; support the presentation of investment recommendations to the CTV Investment Committee
5 Participate in board meetings and discussions where appropriate; otherwise support CTV portfolio companies with the development and execution of strategy, including developing multi-year operational plans, fundraising, board deck construction, and other ad-hoc support
6 Cultivate and maintain a broad, internal network across Exelon’s operating companies and corporate functions to stay informed on current strategic focus areas and to assist with investment diligence
7 Represent the firm within the broad startup ecosystem, including attending startup events, relevant conferences, and occasional speaking opportunities
8 Maintain the relevant internal tracking and reporting frameworks such as the deal pipeline database and quarterly fund performance models; support ad-hoc reporting requests
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Finance, Science, Engineering or related discipline.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant work experience, preferably Principal roles in investment banking, venture capital, consulting, corporate development, or strategic finance roles
- Evidence of passion for entrepreneurship, technologies, and startups
- Understanding of the energy sector and the impact of disruption across the various sub-sectors of the industry
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, including data manipulation, building and evaluating financial models, and capitalization tables
- Comfort building business presentations, performing market research, and structuring legal documents
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and networking skills, and an interest in developing a network with founders, investors, and technical experts
- Proactive, self-directed, and a strong work ethic with a sense of urgency and accountability to deliver results
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a small team, work on multiple projects simultaneously, and be able to adapt quickly to a fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Strong organizational skills and analytical reasoning; an ability to present complex ideas and information in simple, persuasive form, both written and orally
- Familiarity with, and demonstrated interest in, venture capital and venture capital deal terms
- Experience in dealing with startups, operating experience at a venture-backed startup, or previous investing experience
- Strong, active ties to the startup and technology communities
- Technical domain expertise (computer science, engineering, math, physics, etc.)
- Experience serving on a startup or non-profit board of directors
If interested, please apply here.