IFC—a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In fiscal year 2018, we delivered more than $23 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit http://www.ifc.org
IFC’s TMT Global Group is looking for a Washington DC based Investment Officer to support its business development and investment activities globally. With a global deal flow, a diverse portfolio of companies and with many transactions live at any given time, the group is an excellent place to build your buy-side investment skills, understand key elements of due diligence in very different settings, how risk is analyzed, accepted and mitigated, and how companies are built and monitored. Responsibilities will also include support to the World Bank Group’s Digital Infrastructure Initiative, which aims to increase internet access in under-served regions.
Role & Responsibilities:
The responsibilities of the Investment Officer include but are not limited to:
- Promote IFC’s investments in the TMT sector globally.
- Be the primary contact point between the investment teams located in designated regions, and TMT global team.
- Identify and execute viable investment transactions in the designated region, which maximize development impact as well as profitability.
- Support the World Bank Group’s Digital Infrastructure Initiative, which aims to increase internet access in under-served regions across emerging markets. Participate in the design of approaches and interventions to create upstream markets and provide substantive input to key components of Country Private Sector Diagnostics.
- Build a strong pipeline of potential investment opportunities.
- Help develop and implement innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex
- Provide transaction support to regional team as needed which shall include conducting company due diligence, valuation, financial analysis, and transaction structuring.
- Co-supervised TMT junior staff in country offices
- Lead project teams, mentor and develop junior staff.
- Gather market intelligence to stay informed of emerging trends in TMT sub-sectors in various countries; Identify business models and opportunities for new approaches that can accelerate private sector participation and development impact within a region;
- Analyze prior transactions and track record with specific clients to develop input for future business opportunities; Disseminate knowledge across the industry group;
- Help to build and maintain a network of local and regional co-investors and co-lenders to develop specific investment opportunities and to provide funding alongside IFC.
- Help in establishing and maintaining relationships with TMT industry players in the designated region.
- Manage IFC’s investment in select portfolio companies. Activities will include: monitoring and ensuring compliance with the terms of the investment agreements, preparing timely credit risk assessment reports and equity valuations and developing and implementing equity sales strategies.
- Collaborate in developing strategies for various TMT sub-sectors and countries.
- Maintain relationships with clients and other stakeholders (government, development partners, WBG) who are at a level where they can influentially participate in developing immediate and future business opportunities.
- Develop new initiatives for investments in the TMT sector in designated geography.
- Work closely with IFC’s designated regional departments to deliver IFC’s investment targets and development impact.
- At least 8-12 years of investment experience with a proven track-record of sourcing and closing deals.
- TMT investment experience preferred.
- MBA or equivalent qualification.
- Knowledge of the TMT sectors; equity investment and/or project finance is essential; investment transaction and/or portfolio experience in the TMT sectors in emerging markets would be a plus.
- Ability to review the financial analytical work performed by team members for moderately complex transactions based on in-depth analytical and financial modeling skills and experience to know what to look for in efficiently ensuring quality control and directing the appropriate analysis to understand risk factors in a project.
- Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners.
- Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to work with a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity).
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, technical partners and senior government officials.
- Ability to build, maintain and strategically leverage extensive network amongst different geographies focused private equity funds, commercial and investment banks, investment advisors and strategic investors to open doors for new venture opportunities;
- Successful candidates should have the ability to work in a multi-country team, to actively be involved in multiple projects and to mentor/ supervise junior staff.
- Capacity to understand, enable, and participate in market creation opportunities for multiple countries by demonstrating long-term perspective, open-mindedness, persistence, innovation, and ability to leverage all available tools (including de-risking tools); good understanding of the roles and value-add of IFC and WBG in new markets.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Ability to describe complex issues, approaches, and lessons in a manner that is relevant and understandable to clients/stakeholders. Fluency in Spanish/ French/Arabic or Mandarin is a plus.
If interested, please apply here.