Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We are looking to hire someone by the end of January 2020.
Accion Venture Lab is the world’s leading seed-stage investor in fintech for the underserved. Venture Lab invests capital in, and provides support to, innovative fintech startups that increase access to, improve the quality of, or reduce the cost of financial services for the underserved at scale. Since launching in 2012, Venture Lab has deployed over US$20 million across more than 40 startups that work in over 30 countries worldwide. Venture Lab has now raised US$33 million in new capital to scale our work from LPs who include global financial services companies, foundations, and DFIs.
Venture Lab is a part of Accion, a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. Accion catalyzes financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 90 partners in 40 countries. For further information, visit our website.
We are currently recruiting an Investment Officer, who will be based in India or Washington DC depending on profile, and will report to the Managing Director. S/he will lead all aspects of Venture Lab’s work in India, further establishing Venture Lab as the eminent seed stage fintech venture investor in the region. Responsibilities include tracking key developments in the region and developing theses on opportunities in inclusive fintech, deal sourcing, analysis/diligence, transaction closing/process management, and post-investment support to investee companies. The role will be highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing, portfolio management, and entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation in financial inclusion.
Candidates with experience living and working in India, working with startups, venture capital investing, or financial inclusion and technology businesses are preferred.
- Develop a strong pipeline of Indian investment opportunities, build a strong sourcing referral network and conduct thorough due diligence and financial analysis on prospective investees.
- Lead investment structuring, negotiation, documentation, and execution.
- Provide governance and management support to investee enterprises, including (as applicable) finance and operating strategy, business development and lead generation, introductions/connection and fundraising support. In some situations, management support may take the form of portfolio engagement projects with specific investee enterprises.
- Build and manage relationships with global investors, entrepreneurs, service providers, and Accion teams for deal sourcing, information/idea exchange, deal execution/co-investment, post-investment support, entrepreneurial ecosystem building, and other objectives.
- Proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership, including preparation of documents on investment status and lessons for the industry, Accion management/staff and other Venture Lab stakeholders.
- Represent Venture Lab publicly at conferences, events, and working groups as needed.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience across financial services, technology, management consulting, investment banking.
- Should have experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in India, ideally as an entrepreneur, manager and/or principal investor.
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of colleagues, investors and enterprises. Existing network within impact investing and/or financial inclusion a plus.
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree is a significant plus.
- Experience working and/or living in India preferred.
- Willingness to travel 30% or more.
- Excellent at multi-tasking with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Alignment with and embodiment of our team values:
- The Venture Lab team’s values define not just how we work with each other, but also how we work with our portfolio companies and with ourselves. We are curious seekers of new ideas, constantly trying to improve our work and gain insight to new ways of thinking. We strive for excellence, producing top-quality output and serving as a model for the industry. We are informed risk-takers, existing to go places where others don’t and not being afraid to make our perspectives known. We are human-driven, acting with respect, integrity and humility. We are supportive and collaborative, energized by working as a team and working to support the broader ecosystem.
- Venture Lab is a place for hard work – and for fun. We recognize the importance of what we do; we’re tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges, questioning the status quo, and addressing critical gaps. As pioneering seed stage fintech for inclusion investors, we have the ability to be catalytic – and we don’t take this lightly. We focus on team learning and reflection through deep dives and quarterly retreats, and our entrepreneurial environment builds autonomy and ownership, so that we’re empowered to make decisions and shape a nascent industry. At the same time, we ensure that we’re still laughing while doing it; whether at team happy hours, lunch and learns, or game nights, we energize each other both inside and outside of the office.
IF interested, please apply here.