At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Venture Development Business Development & Technical Lead
Venture Development Business Development & Technical Lead
Capital One Growth Ventures
About Capital One Growth Ventures Team
Capital One Growth Ventures (COGV) is the strategic venture investment arm of Capital One. We seek to invest and partner with cutting-edge technology startups in order to bring Capital One the latest technology, applications and learnings from innovators and industry experts. We are uniquely positioned at the intersection of Capital One’s business and tech organizations and the startup world. We continuously survey the market for opportunities that not only result in financial return but drive strategic impact and better experiences for Capital One customers.
The COGV team has members in San Francisco, New York and Capital One Headquarters (McLean, VA) who work to identify new opportunities in enterprise tech, big data, cybersecurity, identity, payments, fintech and other sectors.
Some of our investments include: Snowflake, Riskified, ThoughSpot, Feedzai, Fauna DB, H2O.ai, Hazelcast, and Cylance.
Who We’re Looking For
We seek a highly motivated, energetic and accomplished technologist skilled in business development to join our Venture Development team in McLean, VA. This person maintains a deep understanding of enterprise products and services and has a passion for understanding emerging technologies and trends. Previous experience or a strong interest in working directly with startup companies and understanding the startup world is highly desired. This team member is an articulate, professional communicator with the ability to share business and technical knowledge at various levels including the most senior leaders at Capital One.
As part of the COGV team, you will be primarily responsible for the “Technical Venture Development” part of our function. You will work to identify internal partners, use cases and technology gaps and use this knowledge to search the market, perform technical due diligence on startup solutions, and recommend the right startups to relevant internal stakeholders and partners.
Your role will be a combination of both internal and external responsibilities.
Internal Responsibilities Include
- Strategic Communication & Coordination: Develop strong relationships with Capital One business and technology leaders. Understand their strategic priorities, challenges and needs. Serve as a liaison to keep the COGV investment team informed of internal priorities, providing ideas and guidance for potential investments. Help disseminate strategic intelligence and learnings from our venture investing activities throughout Capital One.
- Due Diligence: Use your understanding of technology, business models and emerging trends to evaluate potential investments and their ability to deliver strategic value to Capital One. Identify relevant internal technical resources and external consultants, and lead the creation of due diligence artifacts on prospective investments within short timelines.
- Business Development: Work with COGVs portfolio companies to develop a deep understanding of their business, technology and product roadmaps. With this understanding, engage Capital One teams across and business and technology functions to develop new use cases and partnership opportunities.
External Responsibilities Include
- Investing: Collaborate with COGV investment team members to identify, vet, and execute venture investment transactions.
- COGV Community Building: Engage with the startup and tech ecosystem to help build relationships with promising CEOs, investors and portfolio companies’ target customers. Help build awareness of Capital One and evangelize the COGV brand in order to increase our network of relationships, reputation and deal flow.
Qualities Of Potential Hire Include
- Significant experience with and deep understanding of technology, especially in one or more of COGVs’ focus areas: enterprise tech and cloud, big data, cybersecurity, identity, payments, fintech
- Passion for technology-driven startups
- Hunger to learn about and understand complex technology and business problems
- Strategic and tactical mindset
- Creative thinker and dot connector
- Trustworthy, Influencer, Networker
- Ability to work independently and in small groups
- Ability to maneuver and drive change in a large organization
- Clear communicator and excellent presenter
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 4 years of experience in a technology role (software engineer, architect or data scientist)
- At least 2 years of experience in business development
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Engineering, or Math
- MBA, MS or advanced degree in technology
- 6+ years of experience in a technology role; ( CTO, Chief Architect, Chief Product Officer)
- 3+ years of experience in business development, professional services, or consulting
- Start-up or entrepreneurial experience
If interested, please apply here.