At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Pact Ventures (PV) – Pact Ventures is Pact’s impact investing team where we’re exploring how to deploy capital to leverage the strengths of a development organization while scaling and delivering impact through new models. We’re approaching development and impact investing through a different lens, exploring how private capital and market-based mechanisms can be incentivized to solve complex social problems in collaboration with our core development projects. We focus on the key sectors and geographies in which Pact operates, including: health, financial inclusion, energy, livelihoods, and sustainable supply chains in Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, and Southeast Asia. Pact Ventures’ completed deals to date include: $10M investment in latest fund for one of the largest global impact investors with a focus on financial inclusion and health products and services for BoP consumers, $200k debt facility investment in a fast-growing global fintech company, $150k Series A equity investment in a designer and manufacturer of global off-grid energy income-generating solutions and solar appliances, and a revenue share agreement with a West African medical diagnostics company.
Pact Ventures is seeking a Summer Associate to support a wide range of the team’s work to leverage markets and private capital to accelerate development and impact. In this role you’ll be embedded in Pact Ventures, working alongside the team on anything from market research and analysis to structuring investments and financial modeling.
In addition to being a temporary staff position, the internship is a learning opportunity for a professional interested in a career in impact investing and/or shared value partnerships. The internship period is flexible, ideally starting as soon as possible. The number of hours and specific schedule will be determined through conversations with candidates.
Key responsibilities could include, but are not limited to:
- Investments: Source new opportunities and conduct due diligence for prospective investments; undertake competitive landscape analysis; build financial models and returns analyses; prepare internal investment memos
- Strategic Partnerships: Identify and assess potential private, social, and public sector actors for shared-value partnerships
- New Ventures: Support the development of new ventures to explore different models of social delivery, including project management, data analysis, and operations support
- Market Research: Conduct market research as part of due diligence process on investments, partnerships, and new venture opportunities; monitor and compile relevant information on themes/trends in impact capital and development sectors; develop impact tracking metrics and systems
- Communications: Draft and present internal thought pieces and/or blogs that share Pact Ventures’ work with the global Pact community
- Completed Bachelor’s degree with focus on or exposure to finance and/or international development
- Current graduate student, preferably MBA or dual-degree with an MBA
- Minimum of 3 years work experience, ideally in roles with significant project leadership and analytical responsibilities in related industries (e.g. development finance, investment banking, management consulting)
- Driven, detail-oriented, collaborative team player
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability with an openness to engaging in the broad range of Pact Ventures’ work
- Ability to work independently and manage a variety of different projects
- Highly analytical with strong quantitative and research capabilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including quickly researching and synthesizing unfamiliar topics
- Comfort in conducting analyses in Excel and presenting complex concepts in Powerpoint
- Demonstrated passion for social impact and impact investing, particularly the intersection with Pact’s mission and development sectors
- Demonstrated interest in and experience with impact investment financing vehicles (e.g. guarantee, PRI, impact bonds, project financing, etc.)
- Experience in international development (e.g. program delivery) and/or in geographies where Pact operates (e.g. Africa, Southeast Asia)
Please include a resume and, in lieu of a cover letter, answer #1 and either #2 or #3 of the following prompts. Upload your response where our online application form asks for a cover letter.
1. What do you want to get out of this experience? (200 words)
Select either #2 or #3 of the below prompts
2. What do you think is an opportunity for a development organization to tap into impact capital? (250 words)
3. Please describe an outcomes-based transaction or shared value transaction that you are familiar with (directly or indirectly). (250 words)
If interested, please apply here.