Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, the organization has committed more than $1 billion to innovative for-profit companies and non-profit organizations to catalyze economic and social change. To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com, and follow on Twitter @omidyarnetwork.
About the Education team:
Our mission is to unlock human potential through learning by catalyzing people, ideas and systems – so every individual can contribute and thrive in a changing and interdependent world. We seek to establish the preeminent platform catalyzing the future of global learning, supporting generations of curious, life-long and life-wide learners to take on the challenges of their own lives, communities and the world. We approach our work with a sense of urgency and action to elevate quality learning for all and reach the millions of learners being left behind. We hold a unique position in the education sector, defined by our global platform and dual checkbook approach.
In 2020, the Education team will launch itself as an independent investment firm that is part of The Omidyar Group. While our mission and investment strategy will not change from our mandate under the Omidyar Network, as a new organization, we are excited to build a global and diverse team committed to exploring innovations in learning and help drive impactful and positive change within the education sector. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a collaborative founding team that will together shape our new organization’s culture and values.
How you’ll contribute to our impact:
The US Education team seeks an extern to support our efforts in executing our strategy to increase postsecondary completion for parents and kindergarten readiness for young children. The team employs a variety of tools to achieve its mission, including investing in for-profit and non-profit organizations and supporting research and thought leadership, among other approaches.
The extern will support the US Education team, currently staffed with one partner, two venture partners, and one analyst in:
- Researching and identifying market trends
- Supporting strategy reviews through desktop research and analysis
- Completing projects related to the broader ecosystem and influence strategies
- Sourcing and conducting due diligence on potential investments, including analyzing potential for social impact
- Supporting investment execution – conducting financial analysis, preparing investment memoranda, and handling logistics related to closing the investment
- Assisting in projects related to ongoing portfolio management
- Collaborating on range of projects and analysis, including some administrative support as necessary
What you’ll bring to the team:
- Passion for social impact and education
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a professional role with analytical and presentation preparation responsibilities
- Outstanding analytical skills with demonstrated ability to analyze and summarize quantitative and qualitative data
- Strong critical thinking and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Resourcefulness, solid judgment, and ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment; strong teammate
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability
- Creative and independent self-starter who takes a high degree of personal responsibility over work product
- Proven ability to multi-task and self-prioritize
- Strong desire for feedback, both on specific projects and overall performance
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
If interested, please apply here.