Accion Venture Lab is the world’s leading seed-stage investor in fintech for the underserved. Venture Lab invests capital in and provides support to innovative fintech startups that increase access to, improve the quality of, or reduce the cost of financial services for the underserved at scale. Since launching in 2012, Venture Lab has deployed over US$20 million across more than 40 startups that work in over 30 countries worldwide. Venture Lab has now raised new capital to scale our work from LPs who include global financial services companies, foundations, and DFIs.
We are currently recruiting a Summer Associate who will be based in Washington, DC. The role is highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing, consulting/management, and entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation in financial inclusion. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on live deals, and will work with the team to define a meaningful project and deliverable (e.g., sector report, market overview) to complete during the internship period.
The minimum length of the program is 10 weeks, with a target start date of June 1, 2020.
Deal screening and investments:
- Support team on the identification and assessment of new investment opportunities, including completing prescreens on companies, conducting background research, performing financial and strategy analysis, and collecting/analyzing diligence documents.
Fund operations and strategy:
- Proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership, including preparing investment updates, identifying best practices across the portfolio, and documenting learnings to be shared within Accion and externally.
- Currently enrolled in an MBA or similar advanced degree program (including public policy, international development, or international relations degrees)
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty.
- Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of Accion colleagues, investors and enterprises. Existing network within impact investing and/or financial inclusion a plus.
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
- Alignment with and embodiment of our team values:
The Venture Lab team’s values define not just how we work with each other, but also how we work with our portfolio companies and with ourselves. We are curious seekers of new ideas, continually trying to improve our work and gain insight into new ways of thinking. We strive for excellence, producing top-quality output and serving as a model for the industry. We are informed risk-takers, existing to go places where others don’t and not being afraid to make our perspectives known. We are human-driven, acting with respect, integrity, and humility. We are supportive and collaborative, energized by working as a team and working to support the broader ecosystem. Venture Lab is a place for hard work – and for fun. We recognize the importance of what we do; we’re tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges, questioning the status quo, and addressing critical gaps. As pioneering seed-stage fintech for inclusion investors, we have the ability to be catalytic – and we don’t take this lightly. We focus on team learning and reflection through deep dives and quarterly retreats, and our entrepreneurial environment builds autonomy and ownership so that we’re empowered to make decisions and shape a nascent industry. At the same time, we ensure that we’re still laughing while doing it; whether at team happy hours, lunch and learns, or game nights, we energize each other both inside and outside of the office.
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets
- Relevant experience in financial services, management consulting and/or VC/PE investing
- Language skills beyond English
If interested, please apply here.