Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 90 partners in 40 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
About Accion Global Investments
The Accion Global Investments team makes equity investments in financial service providers that support micro-entrepreneurs and underserved populations in developing countries.
Global Investments’ strategy is to take significant minority stakes in financial inclusion businesses and work closely with Accion’s Chief Regional Officers and the Global Advisory Solutions team to provide capital, strategic and operational support to develop sustainable companies and deliver both commercial and social returns. Our combined Global Investments and Global Advisory Solutions team interventions incorporate a deep understanding of financial inclusion business models, customer needs and help our partners capitalize on the value of their data, leveraging technology and automation to transform their business processes, and reach their customers through the most cost-effective and convenient digital channels, lowering costs and increasing quality at scale.
Global Investments manages a portfolio of 18 companies across Latin America, Asia and Africa. We also work closely with our seed stage fintech for financial inclusion investment group (Accion Venture Lab) as well as our growth stage fintech for financial inclusion fund (Accion Frontier Inclusion Fund, managed by Quona Capital).
More at https://www.accion.org/how-we-work/invest/accion-global-investments/
We are currently recruiting two summer associates. The associates will be an integral part of the team and will be involved in Global Investments’ investing activities, including deal analysis, diligence, transaction closing, process management and post-investment support to investee companies. The role will be highly entrepreneurial and analytical, spanning emerging market investing, consulting and management, with a focus on financial inclusion.
- Providing analytical support to Investment Officers on assessment of new investment opportunities, including completing prescreening analysis, conducting background research, financial modeling and collecting and analyzing diligence documents
- Leading preparation of investment proposals for approval by Accion’s Board
- Participating in the investment process with a variety of financial analytics, including the analysis of financial statements, financial projections and valuation of equity and debt transactions
- Preparing financial models and valuations in connection with proposed equity transactions
- Conducting market research on the financial inclusion industry (microfinance and adjacent industries) and general financial sector environments of prospective investment countries
- Providing portfolio management support to investee enterprises, including performance evaluation, semi-annual valuations, capital raising and leveraging Accion resources and expertise to benefit the investee
- Candidate for MBA or MA in Finance / Economics
- Strong Excel skills in connection to financial projections & valuation analysis
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3+ years of related work experience (preferably in impact investing and / or private equity)
- Proficiency with MS Office
- Demonstrated communication skills to include excellent oral and written English language skills and ability to communicate ideas effectively
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to interact effectively with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and multi-cultural environments
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and work with little supervision
- High level of initiative and motivation
- Proficiency in a language relevant to Accion’s work a plus (Spanish, French, Portuguese, etc.)
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Excellence: Accion staff should always put forth their best effort in all activities, strive for high quality of collective and individual performance; and demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times while in the workplace and while working on behalf of the organization.
- Respect: Accion staff should value one another’s roles and responsibilities as much as their own, be encouraging, and value the diverse and unique perspectives of colleagues. They should honor obligations and commitments to each other and to external partners.
- Passion for Social Change: Accion staff should be committed to making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate, value the greater good of the organization over personal gain, and promote a productive workplace by acknowledging the accomplishments of others.
If interested, please apply here.