Sands Capital is an independent, employee-owned investment management firm based in Arlington, Virginia that manages multiple billions of dollars in client assets. Sands Capital’s strategies employ a fundamental, bottom-up research process to identify high-quality growth businesses that we can own for the long term in concentrated portfolios. We invest on a global basis across the life cycle from early-stage private businesses to leading public companies.
Identified below are Core Values the firm holds in high regard and believes are critical for high-performing teams at Sands Capital:
- Integrity & Trust: Do what is right, not what is popular. Deliver on commitments.
- Client-Centered: Always act in the best interest of our clients.
- Commitment to Excellence: Strive to learn and improve. Implement best practices.
Sands Capital Ventures is seeking a motivated Life Sciences Venture Associate (Associate). The Associate will function as an integral member of the Sands Capital Ventures team and will support an experienced team of investment professionals. The primary areas for private equity investments include innovative companies in the technology, life sciences, financial services, and consumer sectors, on a global basis. The Associate will focus on the life sciences sector with emphasis on therapeutics, diagnostics, and life sciences tools businesses.
The Associate’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- gathering and analyzing the scientific basis of the technology, market research, financial, and statistical data;
- building financial and market models;
- preparing presentations;
- conducting diligence for the investment team; and
- updating internal reports.
As part of the diligence process, the Associate will have the opportunity to meet with executive and scientific management from leading companies, interview industry experts, attend industry conferences, and visit portfolio companies. Assuming strong performance, the Associate can take on greater responsibilities over time.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Personal qualities include:
- a team player with high energy and exceptional work ethic
- an inquisitive personality, keen to listen and learn about new technologies
- the ability to work proactively and independently to drive tasks to conclusion
- the ability to work professionally with portfolio company CEOs and other senior stakeholders/ investors
- B.A., B.S., M.S. and/or PhD degree in Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Pre-Medicine, Science, Finance, Economics, or other relevant major
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience in life sciences (operations, investment banking, equity research, consulting, etc.)
- A genuine and demonstrable interest in investing and the life sciences industry; specific aptitude for the molecular biology, biotechnology, diagnostics, and/or life sciences tools
- Excellent modeling skills, including market models, financial statements, balance sheet, DCF and valuation analysis
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential
- The ability to simplify and present complex science and highlight its commercial potential is a key ability
- Outstanding analytical and strategic aptitude a must
If you wish to apply for this position, please do so via Sands Capital’s Careers page at http://sandscapital.com/careers/. Please be sure to attach a cover letter with your application.
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
Sands Capital is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and staff members. For our staff members, equal opportunity includes access to the benefits and privileges that the firm provides to staff members generally. We appreciate the value diversity brings to Sands Capital and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all staff members.
We evaluate and select qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Discrimination of this kind is also strictly prohibited by a variety of federal, state, and local laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
If interested, please apply here.