Quona Capital is hiring an entry level associate for a role focusing on two intertwined workstreams: platform and investments. This role is unique , so we’re looking for someone who is agile, analytical and resourceful, and who not only wants to work on deals, but also has the drive and domain expertise to accelerate Quona’s fund performance through platform team initiatives. We think the best person for this role will have experience in fintech in emerging markets in some capacity.
Platform, a function that has become integral to VC firms looking to differentiate themselves in a crowded funding landscape, aims to improve a VC’s offerings to its portfolio, increasing deal flow, portfolio support, and internal performance. Quona’s platform team has a number of core initiatives, including community & ecosystem development, marketing & communications, and strategic partnerships. We’re searching for an associate to focus on strategic partnerships, taking on a investor relations + corporate development role to develop and strengthen partnerships with LPs, strategic partners, debt providers and other key ecosystem players that will move the needle for our global portfolio and facilitate future capital for Quona’s funds.
On the investments side, the associate will work with one of Quona’s founding partners to identify and evaluate early-stage investments in world-class cross-border fintech startups.
ABOUT QUONA CAPITAL
Quona Capital is the largest venture capital investment firm dedicated to promoting “fintech for inclusion” in emerging markets. We invest in scale-up stage financial technology companies in emerging markets. The firm was formed with a simple idea: technology has the power to radically improve the quality, access and affordability of financial services for underserved consumers and businesses. We invest in disruptive innovations to create a more financially inclusive world. Our work is focused on specific markets in Latin America, Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa and leverages a strategic relationship with Accion International, a global leader in financial inclusion.
Quona was established in 2015 and today operates with over USD 350 million in assets under management (AUM), 30 investments across three portfolios, and a global team operating in Washington, DC and the markets in which we invest. To learn more, check out our portfolio companies and meet the team at www.quona.com.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
PLATFORM (70% of time)
A. Partnerships and Relationship Management (50%):
Much of investor & strategic relations role will entail building and managing strategic partnerships with:
- Potential and current LPs;
- Key financial service / technology companies and relevant corporates;
- Capital (i.e. debt and equity) providers;
- Identifying and prioritizing partners based on market trends and portfolio needs.
- Profiling partners to track their strategies and interests as they relate to Quona’s portfolio.
- Driving partnership development conversations by developing materials and project managing relationship between Quona and key decision makers within each organization.
- Contributing to fundraising efforts for current and future funds, managing relationships with existing LPs and supporting outreach and relationship development with potential LPs.
- Fostering relationships between our roster of strategic and investment partners and our portfolio companies based on needs and interests (e.g. the relationship between Konfio, a Quona portfolio company, and Paypal, a key strategic partner).
- Positioning Quona at networking events, conferences and speaking engagements – representing Quona and reporting back insights gleaned or preparing brief sheets and identifying key contacts for global conferences and events.
- Identifying potential candidates and driving recruitment into Quona’s exclusive advisory board, the Quona Circle.
B. Knowledge capture (20%)
- Manage initiatives aimed at leveraging the knowledge and networks of the Quona platform for the benefit of our portfolio companies and stakeholders.
- Promote cross-functional and cross-regional learning and collaboration to inform Quona investments and portfolio companies, and to provide insights to key partners, LPs, etc. (e.g. Conduct thematic research and competitive deep dives within fintech sub-sectors, advise portfolio companies on international expansion).
CROSS-BORDER INVESTMENT SUPPORT (30% of time)
- Support partners / senior investment team members to source, diligence and manage global investments – helping progress deals from initial screening through close and management.
- Analyze investments producing clear and concise investment theses and memoranda.
- Develop financial models and company valuation analyses.
- Map market trends + track companies in key sectors.
- Support portfolio companies and management teams on short-term operational projects as well as long-term decision-making and pilot implementation.
- Assist with quarterly reporting of portfolio performance and development of other LP-facing collateral.
- Experience in fintech or emerging markets (having both is a HUGE plus).
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of experience in settings that require high quality deliverables for top tier clients. We expect the person most suited for this role will have 2-3 years of experience in consulting (bonus for experience in consulting for emerging market fintech or financial inclusion-focused clients). Other relevant experience could include investment banking or operational roles within a tech company.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Experience building financial models or other comparable Excel experience.
- Ability to communicate strategically and effectively in high pressure situations and different personality types – including senior stakeholders.
- Team-first orientation and positivity to support others to calmly and effectively execute in high stake situations.
- A demonstrated interest in social impact, financial inclusion and financial technology, and/or emerging markets.
- Company-paid medical, dental and vision insurance
- Health and dependent-care FSAs
- Unlimited vacation time
- Paid sick leave
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Phone reimbursement
- Discount programs
If interested, please apply here.