Quona Capital is the largest venture capital investment firm dedicated to promoting “fintech for inclusion” in emerging markets. We invest in scale-up stage financial technology companies in emerging markets. The firm was formed with a simple idea: technology has the power to radically improve the quality, access and affordability of financial services for underserved consumers and businesses. We invest in disruptive innovations to create a more financially inclusive world. Our work is focused on specific markets in Latin America, Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa and leverages a strategic relationship with Accion International, a global leader in financial inclusion.
Quona was established in 2015 and today operates with USD 300 million in assets under management (AUM), 25+ investments across three portfolios, and a global team operating in Washington, DC and the markets in which we invest. To learn more, check out our portfolio companies and meet the team at www.quona.com.
What we’re looking for
Quona Capital is hiring for a Platform & Cross-Border Investment Associate. This role will be split between investment team activities and workstreams driven by the platform team, which aims to support and accelerate the growth of Quona’s portfolio companies through a variety of initiatives.
We’re looking for a high-performing associate to work with a founding partner to identify and evaluate early-stage investments in world-class cross-border fintech startups, and to work with the platform team to develop and strengthen partnerships (with strategics, LPs, debt providers and other key ecosystem players) that will move the needle for our global portfolio. This role is based out of Washington, DC.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
What you’ll do
A. Partnerships (40% of time):
Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with: Key financial service / technology companies; Capital (i.e. debt and equity) providers; Potential and current LPs; ‘Rockstar’ entrepreneurs to support the growth of Quona and our portfolio companies. Responsibilities include:
- Identifying and prioritizing partners based on market trends and portfolio needs.
- Profiling partners to track their strategies and interests as they relate to Quona’s portfolio.
- Driving partnership development conversations by developing materials and project managing relationship between Quona and key decision makers within each organization.
- Fostering relationships between our roster of strategic and investment partners and our portfolio companies based on needs and interests (e.g. relationship between Paypal and Konfio).
- Positioning Quona at networking events, conferences and speaking engagements – representing Quona and reporting back insights gleaned or preparing brief sheets and identifying key contacts for global conferences and events.
- Identifying and driving recruitment of additional ‘rockstar’ entrepreneurs into Quona’s exclusive advisory board, the Quona Circle.
B. Global Investment Support (40%)
- Support partners / senior investment team members to source, diligence and manage global investments – helping progress deals from initial screening through close and management.
- Analyze investments producing clear and concise investment theses and memoranda.
- Develop financial models and company valuation analyses.
- Map market trends + track companies in key sectors.
- Support portfolio companies and management teams on short-term operational projects as well as long-term decision-making and pilot implementation.
- Assist with quarterly reporting of portfolio performance and development of other LP-facing collateral.
C. Learning and portfolio support (20%)
- Manage initiatives aimed at leveraging the knowledge and networks of the Quona platform for the benefit of our portfolio companies and stakeholders.
- Promote cross-functional and cross-regional learning and collaboration to inform Quona investments and portfolio companies, and to provide insights to key partners, LPs, etc. (e.g. Conduct thematic research and competitive deep dives within fintech sub-sectors, advise portfolio companies on international expansion).
- Develop and manage initiatives (e.g. partnerships with strategic LPs, conversations with Quona Circle members, etc) for portfolio companies to help them address specific challenges and opportunities.
- 2-3 years of experience in consulting (quick learner, and versatility to work at all company levels – including C-suite), investment banking (analytical horsepower, quantitative proclivities) or an operational role within a technology company (comfortable in fast moving environments, scrappiness, resourcefulness and creativity to get things done with limited resources and direction, ability to wear different hats).
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Experience building financial models or other comparable Excel experience.
- Ability to communicate strategically and effectively in high pressure situations and different personality types – including senior stakeholders.
- Team-first orientation and positivity to support others to calmly and effectively execute in high stake situations.
- A demonstrated interest in social impact, financial inclusion, and/or emerging markets.
- Company-paid medical, dental and vision insurance
- Health and dependent-care FSAs
- Unlimited vacation time
- Paid sick leave
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Phone reimbursement
- Discount programs
If interested, please apply here.