Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 90 partners in 40 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
About Venture Lab:
Venture Lab is an impact investing initiative that invests in and supports seed-stage fintech startups, catalyzing innovation in financial inclusion and enhancing the way financial services are delivered to the poor. Venture Lab focuses on companies that are post-R&D but have not yet proved their concept or achieved meaningful revenue traction, filling the support void for seed-stage companies. Venture Lab focuses on investment opportunities in the US, Latin America, Africa, India and Southeast Asia but remains globally opportunistic, leveraging Accion’s global footprint and 50-year experience investing in and building financial services business in emerging markets. In addition to financial support, Venture Lab provides strategic and operational support to its investees.
Since launching in 2012, Venture Lab has invested across 40 startups that work in over 30 countries worldwide. For more information, please refer to our website.
We are seeking an Associate, who will be based in Washington, DC, to work across our Portfolio Engagement and Investments teams, with a particular focus on our US work. S/he will report to the Managing Directors of Venture Lab and will support all aspects of Venture Lab, including Investments and Portfolio Engagement. For Portfolio Engagement, this role will have the opportunity to provide post-investment support across the portfolio, furthering the growth and success of our investees. For Investments, this role will have the opportunity to work on live deals, participating in investment screening, analysis/diligence, and transaction closing].
The role is highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing, consulting, operations, and entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation in financial inclusion. We are looking for someone available to start as soon as possible.
- Provide in-depth strategic and analytical support to Venture Lab portfolio companies in the US as well as globally. This will include engaging with the investment team and portfolio companies to identify challenges and barriers to growth faced by the businesses; developing and scoping projects to address the areas of need; and working with the companies to execute on the projects through internal and external research, analysis, development of recommendations, and co-creation with the companies.
- Responsible for the assessment of new investment opportunities and development of investment theses, in the US as well as globally, including completing prescreening analysis, conducting background research and financial modeling, collecting/analyzing diligence documents, managing deal transactions and managing portfolio relationships and governance after investment.
- Develop knowledge resources and thought leadership on US pipeline and portfolio, identify best practices across the portfolio, and document and share learnings with key partners and ecosystem players (e.g., key US investment theses, company updates, Portfolio Engagement resources, regulatory tracking, learning modules within Accion, etc.).
- Assist with ongoing Venture Lab operations and administration, including creation of Venture Lab presentations and reports, portfolio company tracking and monitoring, and coordination of documentation and data rooms.
- Bachelors degree and at least 3 years of relevant experience across management consulting, venture capital, private equity, investment banking, and/or technology.
- Passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty.
- Strong research and analysis skills, including financial analytics.
- Experience incorporating several data points to inform actionable recommendations
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, high performing team environment, and ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn the respect of Accion colleagues, investors and enterprises.
- Exceptional written and oral communication and presentation skills. Ability to communicate data and insights in a structured fashion.
- Advanced computer/web skills including Word/Excel/Powerpoint
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Alignment with and embodiment of our team values:
- The Venture Lab team’s values define not just how we work with each other, but also how we work with our portfolio companies and with ourselves. We are curious seekers of new ideas, constantly trying to improve our work and gain insight to new ways of thinking. We strive for excellence, producing top-quality output and serving as a model for the industry. We are informed risk-takers, existing to go places where others don’t and not being afraid to make our perspectives known. We are human-driven, acting with respect, integrity and humility. We are supportive and collaborative, energized by working as a team and working to support the broader ecosystem.
- Venture Lab is a place for hard work – and for fun. We recognize the importance of what we do; we’re tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges, questioning the status quo, and addressing critical gaps. As pioneering seed stage fintech for inclusion investors, we have the ability to be catalytic – and we don’t take this lightly. We focus on team learning and reflection through deep dives and quarterly retreats, and our entrepreneurial environment builds autonomy and ownership, so that we’re empowered to make decisions and shape a nascent industry. At the same time, we ensure that we’re still laughing while doing it; whether at team happy hours, lunch and learns, or game nights, we energize each other both inside and outside of the office.
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises.
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models.
- Language skills beyond English.
If interested, please apply here.