New Product Development (NPD) is responsible for sourcing and launching new businesses across the healthcare industry. Serving as a major growth engine for OptumInsight, NPD works closely with Optum leadership and collaborates with existing business unit leaders and innovation teams to generate growth from “white space” opportunities, with a special emphasis on ideas that span industry sub-sectors.
NPD teams enjoy unparalleled access to the executives at the leading healthcare organizations in the United States and to major investors and prominent leaders in the industry. Entrepreneurial-minded candidates will find a challenging environment, a supportive organization and an opportunity to develop a broad skill-set while affecting meaningful change in one of the most critical industries in today’s economy.
Analysts critical to the success of initiatives in the healthcare verticals and will work in small teams led by senior members of the group with experience in strategy consulting, investment banking, venture capital and start-ups.
This opportunity is based in Washington, D.C.
- Perform primary and secondary research on new terrains
- Identify, scope and size new venture opportunities
- Analyze competitors and draft positioning collateral
- Conduct rigorous market testing by interviewing key industry executives
- Develop pro-formas and financial models
- Pitch new ventures or terrain explorations to senior leaders
- Evaluate and diligence investments and acquisitions
- Collaborate with development and product management teams on internal builds
- Support initial hiring, sales and implementation activities on new ventures
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least one year of relevant experience
- Excellent academic record
- Experience with any of the following is preferred:
- Working in strategy consulting, venture capital, private equity, or investment banking
- Conducting extensive primary research in a professional environment
- Creating a business plan/starting your own business
- Healthcare industry experience
- Proven ability to boil down extensive research findings into relevant insights
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities, including experience conducting root-cause analysis
- Comfort with communicating to an executive level audience
- Drive to consistently meet objectives and maintain focus
- Resourcefulness-ability to procure detailed data and information
- Proven service orientation with attention to detail and follow-up
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Preference for an independent working style
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If interested, please apply here.