The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF) and its employees embrace their commitment to its core values. These core values are the pillars on which CFF stand and will continue to sustain us as we move forward.
- Keep sight of what really matters: Our decisions are based on what is best for people with cystic fibrosis and their families.
- Aspire for excellence in all we do: We take pride in our work. We are committed to continuous learning and improvement.
- Stronger together: We collaborate and work together so that we can learn more and achieve more.
- Innovate with courage: We embrace challenges. We reach beyond boundaries in pursuit of our vision.
- Care about our people: We deeply care about each other and all who support our shared mission. We listen with respect. We support one another.
The Investment Team is responsible for active oversight and management of Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s $4 billion in assets. Our focus is on hiring talented Investment Analysts to support and lead the management of the Foundation’s investment portfolio. This role provides significant exposure, in both breadth and depth, to the investable universe. New hires will benefit from an intimate and nimble team that is dedicated to developing and building talent.
The Investment Team provides the financial returns for the Foundation and is comprised of seasoned investors that are dedicated to being strong stewards of capital and producing strong results. We are building a highly collaborative and purpose-driven culture that is focused on attracting and developing extraordinary talent to support the Foundation’s mission.
The mission of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is to cure cystic fibrosis (CF) and to provide all people with the disease the opportunity to lead full, productive lives by funding research and drug development, promoting individualized treatment, and ensuring access to high-quality, specialized care. A nonprofit, donor-supported organization, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is the world’s leader in the search for a cure for CF, a life-threatening genetic disease that primarily affects the lungs and digestive system. Established in 1955 by parents and families of CF patients, the Foundation now consists of a nationwide network of 114 care centers and best-in class research centers, as well as 70 local offices that strive to fund and support lifesaving research, access to quality, specialized care and effective treatments for people with CF. The Foundation is widely recognized for pioneering the venture philanthropy model – leveraging its scientific and clinical expertise to fund ground-breaking research with biotechnology/ pharmaceutical companies and academic medical centers, in its pursuit of novel treatments and a cure for CF. As a result of this approach, the Foundation has been involved in the development of nearly every CF-specific medication and in late-2014, it successfully monetized royalties on two highly effective therapeutics. The proceeds from this monetization and subsequent capital gains have contributed to an investable portfolio of approximately $4 billion, which is being invested solely to advance the Foundation’s mission.
The Investment Analyst shares responsibility for the entire investment process. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Acquiring skills in investment due diligence, selection, and monitoring of investment partners, including fund managers, co-investments, and direct investments.
- Supporting the sourcing of new opportunities and investment partners across the globe and across asset classes (public markets, private markets, and absolute return).
- Responsible for supporting the full functions of the Investment Team, including investment operations, performance management, and risk management.
- Performing primary research on asset classes, portfolio and risk allocation, and capital markets.
- Integral in the investment analysis and recommendations made to the Team Investment Committee and the Board Investment Committee.
- Developing frameworks for continued improvements across the investment process.
- Working closely with the broader organization.
Strong academic background with prior work experience, preferably at a foundation, endowment, or institutional asset manager. Candidates possess the following competencies:
- Is open to new ideas, projects, and work situations.
- Works collaboratively with team members to accomplish objectives.
- Identifies and takes steps to support and sustain a disciplined process.
- Seeks diverse experiences and sources of information to learn and grow.
- Acts as a role model for inclusive behavior.
- Prepares well-written, well-organized material and presents recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
- Highly passionate of the mission.
- Demonstrates knowledge of capital markets and risk-reward of various asset classes.
- Is able to analyze data and generate reports to assist in the investment strategy and portfolio construction.
- Supports the initial sourcing and gathering of potential investment opportunities.
- Understands implications from analysis and is able to perform data analysis in a comprehensive manner.
- Balances making independent decision-making with input from others and escalates complex decisions.
- Takes ownership of tasks, decisions, and outcomes.
- Bethesda, MD – Headquarters.
- The position will report directly to the Managing Director, Investments.
- This is an exciting position for a motivated self-starter who is looking to join an investment program that is dedicated to developing talent and building creative, thoughtful investors looking to make a significant impact.
If interested, please apply here.