A Portfolio Investment Analyst is needed to provide contracted staffing support for the DRIVe program within the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, DC. The mission of BARDA is to develop and procure medical countermeasures that address the public health and medical consequences of chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) accidents, incidents and attacks, pandemic influenza, and emerging infectious diseases. Specifically, BARDA supports the advanced development and procurement of drugs, vaccines and other products that are considered priorities for national health security. For more information on BARDA please visit their website at: http://www.phe.gov/about/BARDA/Pages/default.aspx.
This position will support the Division of Research, Innovation, and Ventures (DRIVe) initiative which is tasked to accelerate the research, development, and availability of transformative countermeasures to protect Americans from natural and intentional health security threats. DRIVe serves as the agile research and development organization of the Biomedical Research and Development Authority (BARDA) in the Department of Health and Human Services. DRIVe engages in basic, applied and advanced research and development projects essential to protecting the health of American citizens.
- Responsible for assisting in the development of BARDA DRIVe’s dilutive equity investment portfolio. Expected to help identify and target companies of interest to BARDA DRIVe Ventures and Launch while participating in deal-making meetings, provide ongoing support to DRIVe portfolio companies and help work alongside BARDA DRIVe’s non-profit third party venture capital firm(s).
- Provide Subject Matter Expert (SME) support to BARDA’s Interface Office (Ventures, Launch, Accelerators) in the day to day execution and management of dilutive and non-dilutive investments.
- Utilize a network of relationships with top-tier venture capitalists to generate high quality and consistent deal flow for BARDA DRIVe.
- Lead BARDA day to day due-diligence and financial analysis for all prospective investments to ensure proper oversight of DRIVe Launch and Ventures program.
- Serve as active, contributing advisors to portfolio company leadership and work as oversight to BARDA’s third party venture capital firm(s).
- Assist corporate management teams in developing new products/services and in providing business wraparound support to help companies grow and mature.
- Lead networking initiatives including identifying key strategic partners that align with DRIVe technology and mission space for co-investment or potential partners that require funding support.
- Assist with government outreach strategic planning alongside Senior VC SME and Federal oversight program officer including the planning and execution of strategic events and contacts, legislative and senior leadership briefings.
- Lead efforts in marketing and reporting in providing detailed statements including P/L tables, deal in/out flows, routine financial reports, deal and market segmentation matrices, and other reporting requirements.
- BS, MS with 10+ years of total experience in investment related and scientific fields as follows;
- Bachelor’s degree with 3-7 years of working in an investment related field (business development, client or research-based investment firms); preferably an MBA with a science background;
- Scientific background, BS, MS with 3-7 years of experience in Biotech/Pharm product development or academic research also beneficial.
- Strong experience and background in a variety of business disciplines including sales, marketing, business development, or finance.
- Experience in negotiation equity investments and deals, building a deal team, and have prior experience managing biotech investments.
- Industry experience evaluating portfolio strength, conducting business analysis, portfolio rebalancing, and performing financial evaluation of technology (biopharma) assets.
- Experience evaluating out-licensing and in-licensing Drug Development opportunities.
- Experience raising capital (seed, VC, IPO, etc.) to support product development.
- Understanding of product development design, R&D, licensing, and other aspects of the biopharmaceutical industry.
If interested, please apply here.