Stand Together unleashes the power of community to solve our country’s toughest problems and help people to improve their lives. We invest in and support local organizations and social entrepreneurs with demonstrated track records, strong appetites for growth, and high potential to impact a critical social problem and help others improve their lives. We accelerate the impact of our partners through our venture philanthropy and impact investing model, providing both capital and organizational development.
Stand Together Ventures is a unique group focused on accelerating Stand Together’s impact through bold innovations that deliver 100x and beyond transformation. We bring together rising leaders in business, technology, and culture to source, incubate and scale 100x solutions that enable people to unleash their full potential.
We are seeking a rigorous and experienced leader to build and run our incubator and venture studio, broadly defined today as the innovation ecosystem, within Stand Together Ventures. The Managing Director will build the necessary infrastructure to support a robust and diverse pipeline of ideas and talent that can be evaluated for effectiveness and potential then incubated and scaled. The incubator will make investments regardless of capital structure and ownership. The focus is to maximize the impact in society of initiatives that can truly transform people’s ability to rise. The Managing Director will also need to build out an Entrepreneur in Residence program and build relationships across the Stand Together community.
This role marries financial investment skills, strategy, and passion to help all people. The ideal candidate will passionately believe that free societies and voluntary cooperation will help individuals flourish, particularly the least fortunate.
Our Market-Based Management® philosophy creates an environment that prioritizes integrity and compliance, fosters professional growth, and rewards our employees for the value they create.
Your Responsibilities Include
- Build and manage the entire innovation ecosystem within Stand Together Ventures, including the strategy, staffing plans, and vendor relationships
- Review business plans, perform due diligence, recommend investment opportunities, structure deals, and negotiate terms
- Collaborate with the partnerships team to originate deal and talent flow and the organization development team to support our investments
Knowledge and Skills You Bring to the Organization
- The Managing Director must bring an astute blend of strong business acumen and investment experience to influence build and maintain relationships with investors, foundations, and financial institutions
- Must be experienced operator
- 7+ years of related experience, such as a venture capital or private equity firm or transformative business leadership
- Skills desired include operational leadership, due diligence, financial modeling, deal negotiation, and portfolio management
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Work experience in the nonprofit and/or social finance sector strongly desirable
- Skill in building relationships and representing Stand Together with external audiences
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Commitment to the purpose, values, and operating principles that inform Stand Together’s work
Standout Candidates May Also Bring
- Relevant experience is significantly more important than a Bachelor’s degree within a specific field, although the degree may add to one’s ability to perform this role
We are excited to announce that our philanthropic community will now be known as Stand Together – a name that defines who we are, what we do, and why. It’s also a call to action: we invite anyone who shares our optimism for the future to stand together to help every person rise.
We work with: Nonprofit leaders at over 100 community-based groups. Over 700 of the country’s most effective business leaders and philanthropists. Over 1,000 professors at 350 universities. Tens of thousands of K-12 teachers. And millions of grassroots activists in 35 states. We’ve united to move toward a society where people succeed by helping others, so that everyone has the opportunity to realize their extraordinary potential.
Working at Stand Together is different from many other organizations. We have a relentless commitment to a culture based on a business philosophy called Market Based Management® (MBM®). Informed by the principles that allow a free and open society to flourish, MBM® prepares individuals to innovate, improve, and transform while fostering a healthy, growing organization that creates long-term value for its clients and supporters and fulfillment for its employees.
If interested, please apply here.