Squadra Ventures, a new early-stage venture capital firm located in Baltimore, Maryland is hiring a Director of Portfolio Operations. The fund is led by an experienced operator, Guy Filippelli, and focuses primarily on seed stage investments of industry-agnostic enterprise software, dual-use defense technology, cybersecurity, and data analytics companies located in the Mid-Atlantic and emerging tech hubs. The Portfolio Operations team is fully dedicated to supporting the companies in which Squadra is invested. The talented candidate will work closely with the Squadra founding team to accelerate the time to commercial success, amplify outcomes, and track progress of our companies. The candidate should be willing to get involved in various aspects of the fund as required.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and maintain internal processes and systems to organize and streamline the firm’s value-add services for our portfolio companies
- Drive value for our portfolio companies through customer and partner introductions, executive-level recruiting, and service provider recommendations
- Develop and foster relationships with members of the Squadra Ventures community, industry executives and strategic partners
- Organize events to help connect startups with corporate executives that represent prospective customers, partners, and/or investors
- Differentiate Squadra from its competitors by designing and implementing new value-add initiatives
- Manage our network and track value-added interactions through Trello other tools
- Develop relationships with management teams of portfolio companies and identify best approaches to support their success from a commercial and strategic relationship standpoint.
- Develop an action plan for each portfolio company in coordination with the investment lead and deliver against that plan.
- Direct and, over time, build out the Portfolio Operations teams by thoughtfully scoping out needs in consideration of impact and scale.
- Consistently inform team members on network, stories of connectivity and value creation.
- Track and measure the progress of portfolio companies against key metrics and milestones.
- Lead other strategic initiatives and projects as necessary
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail
- Willingness to constantly learn and adapt
- Open communication and team work
- Dedicated work ethic
The ideal candidate will be highly flexible, positive, team-oriented, and a proven self-starter with a strong work ethic. He/she must be capable of working independently in a fast-paced start-up culture with little guidance. He/she should possess a strong “can do” attitude, be intellectually curious, and have a demonstrated interest in the startup and venture capital ecosystem.
Ideally, the candidate will also have the following qualifications:
- Must reside or be willing to relocate to Baltimore, Maryland
- B.S. or B.A. degree; MBA preferred but not required
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience, with a strong preference of previous “customer facing” work experience in venture capital, enterprise sales, product management, or recruiting
- Extreme ability to organize and manage process
- Team player
If interested, please email Mike@squadra.vc with subject line “Portfolio Ops Role