This role entails active involvement in all areas of corporate venture capital investing, portfolio management and ecosystem development. As the VP, Ventures you will be expected to source new deals, lead due diligence efforts, negotiate investment terms and monitor and support Synchrony’s portfolio of investments. You will be part of a small and high-impact team, with direct exposure to senior management and all aspects of the investment process. This role offers a unique opportunity to be a key impact player and have significant involvement in the evolution of Synchrony Ventures.
This role reports to the SVP of Synchrony Ventures and is part of the Business Strategy & Development organization.
- Build, develop, and maintain strong relationships with the venture capital community, corporate venture groups, payments industry networks, founders and entrepreneurs through business development activities including attending relevant networking events, conferences, and prospecting.
- Evaluate and screen targets across multiple dimensions including strategic value, asset viability, and cultural fit
- Research and conduct and coordinate due diligence on potential investment opportunities including reference checks and portfolio company visits.
- Lead negotiations, structure transactions and collaborate with in-house and external counsel
- Analyze investment sectors and collaborate in creation of investment theses and selection of search fields
- Socialize deal fundamentals with senior stakeholders, and present recommendations to Synchrony investment committee
- Monitor financial/operational conditions and industry dynamics of assigned portfolio; take on board seats on behalf of Synchrony (where applicable)
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in venture capital, corporate venture capital, private equity investing, M&A, or management consulting
- Minimum of 2 years experience independently coordinating due diligence processes, performing financial analysis, conducting reference checks, preparing investment memos and presenting recommendations to senior management
- Bachelor’s Degree or 10+ years of financial services experience
- Strength in developing data-driven perspectives and presenting insights to business leaders
- Strong PC proficiency (MS Office Suite) or comparable software applications
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- 5+ years venture capital experience including time spent at a venture capital firm
- Strong connections to the startup community, investors, and entrepreneurs
- High energy level with a passion for innovation and equity investing along with entrepreneurial spirit
- Deal history and track record of successful equity investments
- Corporate venture capital experience
- Fintech, payments, retail or healthcare industry experience
- MBA preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills High-level negotiation, communication (written and verbal), and influencing skills
- Proven ability to work independently, cross functional and stakeholder management
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the selection process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- Effective 1-1-18, new hires (Level 4-7) must have 9 months of continuous service with the company before they are eligible to post on other roles. Once this new hire time in position requirement is met, the associate will have a minimum 6 months’ time in position before they can post for future non-exempt roles. Employees, level 8 or greater, must have at least 24 months’ time in position before they can post. All internal employees must have at least a “consistently meets expectations” performance rating and have approval from your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR if you don’t meet the time in position or performance requirement).
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
If interested, please apply here.