Citi Ventures (CV) is Citi’s corporate innovation arm. Through Venture Investing, CV aims to deliver breakthrough impact by bringing together leading startups and Citi’s businesses to scale innovation and open new pathways to growth.
The Venture Investing team focuses on identifying and investing in entrepreneurs who will help define the future of financial services. The team brings together Citi’s business needs with portfolio companies’ technologies, services and business models to accelerate Citi’s ability to evolve in a dynamic marketplace and help portfolio companies scale. For this reason, the venture investing team focuses on next generation fintech, commerce and payments, big data and analytics, cybersecurity, enterprise IT, and enterprise software domains.
The Venture Investing team is seeking a highly motivated individual to help build intelligence within the areas of enterprise technology/software and/or Fintech. The individual will build connectivity in the relevant ecosystem, identify and source leading startups, perform due diligence on potential investment opportunities and assist in portfolio company management and reporting. He/she will play a critical role in developing and advancing thought leadership and domain strategy to support Citi’s businesses by fostering new idea generation, synthesizing the market landscape, and translating new innovative ideas into successful commercial outcomes.
This position reports to the Managing Director and requires a highly credible professional with broad business acumen to understand emerging business models and new technologies. The candidate must also possess the interpersonal skills to effectively nurture new relationships in the start-up ecosystem, provide valuable advice to shape start-up product road maps, influence and manage relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including executives in the local, regional and corporate offices. Most importantly, the individual must be relentlessly curious, as well as passionate about championing change. The person in this position will work very closely with the senior leadership team within Ventures to help drive POC’s, pilots, and commercialization opportunities.
- Source investment opportunities in areas of interest to the Venture Investing team by building a network and pipeline of leading startups that fit Citi Ventures focus areas
- Meet regularly with VC’s and innovation partners to maintain a pulse on market developments
- Develop market landscapes and POV’s on emerging trends
- Design and execute due diligence, write investment memos, and guide opportunities end-to-end through the Citi Ventures investment process
- Assist with portfolio company management, monitoring and reporting
- Interface/interact with colleagues in business units to understand strategic roadmaps
- Work with existing portfolio companies to ensure their roadmaps are aligned to address Citi’s challenges and to help them succeed in the market
- Contribute to external communications to show Citi thought leadership and represent Citi Ventures at external events
- Bachelor’s degree from a top tier program, preferably in an analytical discipline
- A total of 3+ years work experience beyond undergrad
- A demonstrated interest in Venture Capital or Technology; preference for candidates with at least 2 years’ experience with a venture capital firm or in a corporate venture setting
- Experience in Investment Banking, Strategy Consulting or Product Management is a plus
- Ability to navigate a large financial services company, and engage senior leadership
- Strong relationship management, communication, interpersonal, and influencing skills at all levels within or outside of an organization
- MBA is a plus
If interested, please apply here