BSC Ventures was established in 2012 and is dedicated to making strategic venture capital investment in emerging medical technology companies.
As of early 2019, BSC’s venture portfolio was composed of over 30 investments totaling over $500M of invested capital. Individual investments range from less than $1M to over $10M. Each investment structure is tailored to the situation and BSC’s strategic objectives (eg ownership stake, rights, etc.)
In conjunction with BSC Senior Management team, this role is responsible for establishing Venture Capital strategic priorities, including the future investment areas within the emerging medical technology marketplace that provide the greatest opportunity and strategic fit. This person will be responsible for sourcing, analyzing, internally selling, making, managing and exiting investments in target companies.
Specific areas in which the successful candidate will lead activities are:
- Management of Boston Scientific portfolio investments, including board representation, ensuring progress against programmatic and financial benchmarks and exit event analysis and execution.
- Sourcing of new investments including meeting with founders, entrepreneurs, potential co-investors, attending conferences, networking events and evaluating new prospects. This includes adding to the fund’s pipeline of potential investment opportunities by networking within the BSC Network including Medical Technology companies, Strategic Alliances and Syndicate Relationships.
- Evaluating new and adjacent markets (including healthcare IT and digital health) and turning insights into investment recommendations.
- Working with relevant internal functions, including human resources, legal, regulatory, finance, accounting/tax, as needed and presenting diligence findings and recommendations to Senior Management.
- Overseeing from an executive level the internal assessment teams in the evaluation of new markets/capabilities.
- Leading the negotiation of terms for investments including financial terms, strategic rights, etc.
- Preparing and presenting investment memoranda to Investment Committee including portfolio updates.
- Monitoring and managing portfolio investments through Board participation.
- Formulating current views on markets, sectors and technologies of portfolio companies through on-going research and Board observation.
- Working to enhance the presence of BS Ventures in the innovative Life Sciences market.
The successful candidate will be an experienced investor in a corporate venture group or a venture fund and will be well versed in the start-up medical technology environment. The ideal background will possess 10-15 years of relevant life science experience in venture investing and may also bring a combination of experience in Equity Research, Investment Banking, Business Development, Consulting or Medical.
He/She will have proven experience in the fundamentals of investment management including targeting, conducting extensive diligence and in recommending and investing in similarly profiled companies to the BSC company portfolio. The successful candidate will bring prior experience in externally interfacing with Founders, Entrepreneurs, Venture Industry executives, Lawyers, Bankers and Consultants. If this person comes from another corporate venture group, then this person will have interfaced with Business Development, Human Resources, Legal, Regulatory, Finance, Accounting/Tax and members of the Investment Committee.
Ideally, he/she will have managed investments for multiple years, assumed prior Board of Director roles in previous portfolio companies and have established him/herself as a high quality investor. This candidate should be well networked and have had broad exposure to the multitude of private investment opportunities available for the targeted start-up medical technology entities.
In addition to the requisite investment domain experience and the ability to scout a “winner”, the candidate must have a history of success throughout his/her life including business, academia and other pursuits. Moreover, it is essential that the candidate has demonstrated the ability to initiate and cultivate meaningful relationships within the investment, academic and entrepreneurial community.
More specifically, the ideal candidate will likely possess a track record of the following technical competencies:
- Demonstrated investment track record in project management and in establishing, prioritizing and leading the origination/sourcing process, due diligence and investment transactions in medical devices / diagnostics / healthcare technology with an established corporation, corporate venture group or independent venture fund.
- One or more advanced degrees, such as an MD, a scientific PHD, JD, and/or an MBA.
- Demonstrated understanding of laws, regulations, standards and guidance’s governing the conduct of a medical device company.
- Well-developed deal sourcing network and a robust network of contacts within the start-up medical technology area, as well as, the capability to leverage new and existing personal relationships and networks.
- The ability to articulate and implement an investment strategy, demonstrate a creative capacity to source and select worthy deals, orchestrate end-to-end transactional closure, manage investor syndicates through a combination of diplomacy, business judgment and emotional intelligence.
- Proven experience with financial modeling, transaction structuring and negotiation including equity and debt financings, merger and acquisition, licensing agreements, joint ventures and knowledge of basic financial accounting and tax.
- Ability to rapidly be conversant with the company’s technology platforms, therapeutic products and markets coupled with the ability to deeply and thoroughly analyze and dissect a business; i.e. understanding the components and drivers of success beyond the financials.
- Excellent analytical thinking and financial acumen with a demonstrated track record of delivering sustainable business results and creating shareholder value.
In addition, the following personal qualities and characteristics will be important:
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills, coupled with the presence and self-confidence to interface with the key constituents including Senior Management, Investment Committee members, Board of Directors, management teams of companies, deal sources, service providers and others.
- An organized and motivated self-starter with the capacity to work individually and as part of a team effort. Additionally, he/she will be able to work with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm and diplomacy and have demonstrated the ability to develop less senior investment team members, lead by example and influence to encourage collaboration across functions, levels, and groups to achieve shared objectives.
- Personality, mindset (flexible thinker, adaptable to new ideas, focused and persistent) and an investment approach that fits well with entrepreneur/founder-driven start-up companies.
- A strong business orientation combined with unquestionable integrity, dependability, ethics and financial skills. This person must have a penchant for delivering the highest quality output with a strong sense of urgency and results orientation to a variety of constituencies including shareholders; strategic partners the Board of Directors and Company management and employees.
- Strong problem-solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- Self-awareness, maturity and irreproachable integrity.
If interested, please apply here.