The Corporate Venturing and Innovation Group (CVIG) at Tata Communications is in charge of finding innovative technology startups from around the world to either partner, invest, or acquire depending on strategic alignment. This group works closely with other VCs, PE firms and industry bodies across various innovation ecosystems around the world, including the Silicon Valley, and has affected multiple partnerships and investments with startups since inception 3 years back.
Tata Communications is a $2.8 billion company serving 60% of the Fortune 500 multi-national firms. As Enterprises digitize, Tata Communications’ vision is to create a new world of communication for its customers and partners, that places innovation and venturing at the heart of its strategy. Carrying approximately 27% of the world’s internet routes, Tata Communications has operations in more than 200 countries.
CVIG is currently seeking scouts in an immersive learning experience that will teach them industry-leading best practices in the innovation and venture industry. This is a remote educational program for any college student on a rolling basis beginning in Spring 2019. Program scouts will gain experience behind the scenes of a global corporate venture group to learn how to source and analyze live deals.
- Identify and research specific priority emerging technologies as well as use cases in domains like AI / deep learning, block chain or distributed ledger, network analytics, sales analytics, cyber security, HR transformation etc.
- Source potential investment targets through desktop research, phone and / or email campaigns
- Analyze potential target startups in terms of financial performance, business models, customer base and go to market strategy, founder profile and success, product differentiation / competitiveness and other KPIs
- Summarize analysis and make partner or investment recommendations both on target domain and individual start-ups
- Interface regularly with VC firms, PE firms, investment bankers, startup accelerators, or other intermediaries to source and qualify deals
- Assist current portfolio startups with operations (recruiting and HR, sales and marketing, finance and accounting, contracts and legal, engineering and development) depending on scout interest level
- Evaluate, recommend, build and diligently maintain a funnel and deal workflow management solution
- Generate and facilitate non-disclosure agreements to startup CEOs
- Collaborate daily with other scouts to develop efficient strategies and execute effectively as a team
- Build financial models for prospective startup investments and current portfolio companies
- A desire to learn about new disruptive technologies
- Passion to discover innovation and venture related best practices
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Tenacity and relentless focus on excellence
- An energetic, curious and optimistic attitude
- An engineering, research, or business-related major
- At least 2 years of undergraduate education
- Prior relevant experience is preferable
If interested, please apply here.