J&J Development Corporation is recruiting for a Venture Investments Leader, Healthcare Technology & Solutions and Business Models, located in San Francisco, California
The Leader of Venture Investments – Innovated health care solutions and business models will lead JNJ venture investing by building and managing a portfolio of investments that help transform health care solutions partnering across the Global external innovation units, Sector R&D teams and commercial franchises. This will include establishment of new business models partnering with external investors, developing plans to establish new company structures internal and external to J&J. This role will be in direct support of the Global External Innovation (GEI) strategy to accelerate innovation partnering with JLabs, Innovation Centers, WWD and J&J Sectors to advance the pipeline opportunities. In addition, this role will develop investment options focused on disruptive innovation for longer term solutions supporting the Center for Device innovation and each sector in areas of Artificial Intelligence, Gene editing , Sensors, 3D Printing.
Responsibilities will include maintaining external critical board roles in healthcare technology ventures as well new areas spanning across all sectors.
- S/he will be assuming responsibilities for existing and going forward investments including diligence, detailed assessments, negotiating terms, and closing on funding requirements. Beyond initial investments, will be responsible for managing follow on investments to ensure targeted strategic options are shaped for success.
- S/he will lead sourcing, equity transaction activities, investment management activities and leverage and share expertise to the internal medical devices stakeholders and enterprise partners, as needed.
- Responsibilities also will include assuming board and/or observer responsibilities, and providing the JJDC team with regular updates on progress on milestones progress and shaping on-boarding strategies.
- S/he will build and maintain networks in the venture capital community, entrepreneurs, startups, incubators and accelerators and other venture organizations that fit the strategic interests of various Groups, to source new opportunities for the sector, and position JJDC as the partner of choice.
- The Venture Investor will collaborate with other JJDC Venture Investors, internal sector Business Development groups, GEI and R&D leadership and JLABS, External Innovation Teams (New Ventures, Search & Evaluation Scouts) located in the four (4) Johnson & Johnson Innovation Centers, to identify and assess novel innovation opportunities and if equity is selected, lead the JJDC process for potential investment.
- S/he will collaborate with internal teams to optimize structures for early external innovation opportunities for best overall outcomes for partnership.
- S/he will maintain the regular monitoring for venture landscape in disruptive business models and health care solutions, venture capital investor portfolios and competitive corporate venture investment activity, and identify trends and areas for shaping new investment areas that could result in new areas for future investment strategies and plans.
- S/he will manage shaping and formation of new venture-backed startups where spin out of internal technology and/or newco formation have strong strategic interest in later option rights.
- Build robust pipeline of investment opportunities to accelerate innovation and GEI initiatives across sectors.
- Expand and differentiate JJDC’s relationship in venture community and ecosystem of entrepreneurs, intermediaries and business partners.
- Strengthen overall quality of deal flow and equity investments spawning from GEI and monitor progress on key company/business milestones which lead to on-board (acquisition and integration, licensing deal, partnership) opportunities for J&J.
The Venture Investments leader will combine capabilities of business model innovation, deal structure knowledge and background in deal making in various sectors with the business acumen and executive influencing skills to succeed in J&J’s highly collaborative and matrix driven organization.
- Industry experience:
- Healthcare technology industry experience (broad Medical Devices, understanding of hospital systems, leading surgical interventions, robotics and digital healthcare technology) – is required
- Consumer Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals/Biotech is preferred
- Professional experience:
Minimum of 8 years of managerial/leadership career experience – is required
At least 5 years as an investor with experience in corporate venture, private equity, venture capital and/or business development is required
Scope of leadership
- As an investor a proven track record of executing deals from sourcing, deal assessment, closing and shaping investments for exit/on-boarding/integration. – is preferred
A Combination Of Operating And Investing Experience Is Preferred
- Experience with companies in high growth mode; connections and network with the venture community and entrepreneurial networks of the Bay Area – is preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or business field is required. An advanced business degree is required.
- Requires 30-35% travel, majority domestic with some international; travel to portfolio investment board meetings is required
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
If interested, please apply here.