Hewlett Packard Pathfinder is the venture capital arm of Hewlett Packard Enterprise. We are a small, agile, Bay Area-based team focused on identifying and investing in category-leading technology startups. Our mission of engaging with innovators and investors across the startup ecosystem enables us to provide advanced strategic insights to HPE, make key investments on behalf of HPE, and nurture solutions relevant to HPE’s customers.
Areas of recent investment interest span the enterprise stack and include (but are not limited to): software, hardware, infrastructure, DevOps, cloud, edge, data, AI/ML, storage, compute, quantum, silicon, and cybersecurity.
We’re seeking an Investment Principal to help source, diligence, invest in, and champion the next cohort of innovative startups.
As a key member of our team, the Investment Principal will report to the Managing Director and will be expected to balance their day-to-day investment activities with more strategic long-term duties such as proactively formulating new investment theses in areas such as the new cloud stack, DevOps, storage, cybersecurity, AI, and other enterprise technologies.
In addition to the above, the Investment Principal will also be expected to engage with Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s executive leaders, help inform high-level strategic decisions, and be responsible for some of our internal operations such as portfolio company performance reporting and support.
This is a full-time role based out of our San Jose/Santa Clara offices.
- Work with MD and quarterback all stages of the investment process, including: thesis development, deal sourcing, due diligence, deal negotiation, and investment memo construction.
- Assisting with the firm’s post-investment relationships, including: providing portfolio support, fulfilling governance duties as a Board Observer, supporting business development projects, executing on portfolio growth and operational improvement strategies, and when appropriate, managing exit scenarios such as IPOs and acquisitions.
- Proactively developing new investment theses and informed points of view in areas relevant to the firm.
- Building relationships with and promulgating the Pathfinder brand among founders, VC firms, accelerators, and other members of the venture capital ecosystem.
- Enhancing the professional development of more junior members on the team.
Highly qualified candidates will have many of the following traits:
- 5-7 years of experience in venture capital, consulting, banking, or a field related to our areas of investment interest.
- 3-4 years of direct investing experience at a venture capital firm or corporate venture capital group.
- Strong understanding of technical sectors.
- MBA or other advanced degree from a top-tier graduate program.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a dynamic, fast paced environment while simultaneously handling multiple projects involving a variety of different teams and functional groups.
- Significant comfort around building models in MS Excel, including experience with intermediate to advanced analytical functionality.
- Understanding of advanced financial modeling and investment evaluation approaches (NPV, IRR, ROI) and their importance to measuring overall fund performance.
- Ability to coach more junior members of the team throughout the investment process
If interested, please apply here.