AV’s purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 170+ employees and 20 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, Menlo Park, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $900 million and has invested in over 900 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 600,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established, professional VCs.
About This Role
Green D Ventures, Alumni Ventures’ fund for Dartmouth alumni and friends of the community, is seeking an experienced, full-time investing venture Principal who can source, recruit, research, and evaluate venture opportunities.
This individual will serve as a leader of the Fund’s investing work: deal sourcing, researching, evaluating, and managing relationships with portfolio companies and fellow venture investors. The successful Principal will drive enhanced deal quality and improve co-investing opportunities for AV and will have significant input into the creation of a unique portfolio amassing highly valuable strategic assets. AV is a fast-paced, professional, entrepreneurial environment. As Principal, this individual will report directly to and work closely with the Managing Partner of the fund.
- Network with various players in the startup ecosystem
- Identify deal resources and conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships
- Prepare and distribute due diligence packages
- Research and evaluate each opportunity as a potential investment, including interviewing company teams, competitors, and customers
- Recruit, train, and manage interns/fellows to help support deal outreach and research
- Present opportunities and respond to Managing Partner and LP questions, run deal meetings, and orchestrate IC meetings
- Help create and manage our company database, monitoring prospects on an ongoing basis
- Assemble and update CRM on companies and entrepreneurs
- As requested, assist with investor relations and potential investor outreach
- Help supervise back-end functions as needed
- Suggest improvements to our approach, process, products, and services
- Bachelor’s degree
- MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Strong connection to the Dartmouth community required
- 1-5 years of professional venture investing experience
- 7-10 years of additional experience in finance, venture capital, or entrepreneurship
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent work ethic and professional demeanor
- Demonstrated interest and experience in entrepreneurship, as well as emerging companies and technologies
- Experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Track-record of managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- Strong writer and communicator, excellent listener, with superior sales skills and comfort regularly interacting with potential community members
- Capable networker, with an ability to grow our system and process for identifying deals
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, balanced by ability to get and communicate big picture
- Self-starter and independent manager, but good team player and personnel manager
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
- Database management and strong technical and social media experience a big plus
IF interested, please apply here.