Blue Shield of California’s mission is to ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at a sustainably affordable price. We are transforming health care in a way that truly serves our nonprofit mission by lowering costs, improving quality, and enhancing the member and physician experience.
To fulfill our mission, we must ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where all employees can be their authentic selves and fully contribute to meet the needs of the multifaceted communities we serve. Our comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion combines a focus on our people, processes, and systems with a deep commitment to promoting social justice and health equity through our products, business practices, and presence as a corporate citizen.
Blue Shield has received awards and recognition for being a certified Great Place to Work, best place to work for LGBTQ equality, leading disability employer, one of the best companies for women to advance, Bay Area’s top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the world’s most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California, we are striving to make a positive change across our industry and the communities we live in – join us!
The Corporate Development team drives inorganic growth opportunities that accelerate and support Blue Shield’s Strategic Plan. The Corporate Development Investments, Sr. Principal will report to the Vice President, Corporate Development. In this role you will help source, execute and manage Blue Shield direct and venture capital fund investments that accelerate and support Blue Shield’s Strategic Plan.
In this role, you will:
- Source, evaluate and execute on direct investment opportunities that will accelerate the achievement of long-term strategic goals
- Source, evaluate and execute on venture capital fund investment opportunities that will accelerate the achievement of long-term strategic goals
- Monitor the health of direct and venture capital fund investments
- Work closely with various business stakeholders to facilitate commercial relationships with direct investments and fund portfolio companies
- Prepare materials for Senior Management and the Finance & Investment Committee of the Board
Your Knowledge and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Requires at least 12 years of prior relevant experience
- At least 7 years of experience in venture or private equity investing, ideally in the healthcare sector or a related industry
- Experience working for, or consulting to, an enterprise with a substantial investment program in the healthcare industry. Experience with a corporate strategic investing program a plus
- Demonstrated success managing the investment process with internal cross-functional partners as well as external contacts including analysts, consultants, attorneys, and all due diligence partners
- Established network within the healthcare industry is strongly desired
- Venture Investing, Investment Banking or Management Consulting experience strongly preferred. The Corporate Development team drives inorganic growth opportunities that accelerate and support Blue Shield’s Strategic Plan. MBA or equivalent background strongly preferred
- Honest. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical and integrity standards. We build trust by doing what we say we’re going to do and by acknowledging and correcting where we fall short
- Human. We strive to be our authentic selves, listening and communicating effectively, and showing empathy towards others by walking in their shoes
- Courageous. We stand up for what we believe in and are committed to the hard work necessary to achieve our ambitious goals
If interested, please apply here.