Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing organization with 100 employees across the country and a widespread, engaged community of over 400,000 entrepreneurs, investors, and supporters. We are disrupting financial services by bringing smart, simple venture capital investing options to 15 million accredited investors who currently do not have a good option to enter the asset class. Our corporate headquarters in Manchester, NH provides back-office support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, Manchester, NH, New York City, Chicago, San Francisco and Austin, TX. On an annual basis, these teams raise funds from their respective communities to invest in diverse, promising startups and growing businesses. Our key competitive advantage as an investor is the combined scale and connectivity of our vast network, our connected capital, which provides capital, sources deals and adds unique value for our portfolio companies. AVG has successfully launched 25 venture funds to date and will build another dozen or so funds over the next few years. We are private, for-profit, and not part of any school.
AVG Basecamp is a newly launched Seed and Pre-Seed venture capital fund within AVG, dedicated to backing promising technology-enabled businesses. Basecamp co-invests alongside leading accelerators, institutional venture capital investors and angel investors.
AVG Basecamp is now hiring a Principal to join our team out of our San Francisco office to work in close collaboration with the Basecamp Managing Partner, based in New York. This is a full-time salaried position and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Some travel (10-25%) will be required to execute the responsibilities of your position. You will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Prior entrepreneurial experience as a founder or operator in a high-growth technology business, ideally in a technical or product management role
- Direct venture capital investing experience or similar, applicable prior professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA a plus
- 7-10 years of prior professional experience
Requirements for an ideal candidate
- High energy and unflinching work ethic
- Entrepreneurial empathy and respect for early-stage start-up founders.
- Exceptional non-transactional, long-term relationship building ability
- Strong analytical and financial analysis skills
- Highly effective written and spoken communications skills
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate, and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity, and team
- A professional presence combined with relationship and communication skills to interact effectively with internal and external parties
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and execute on processes while working with diverse and/or remote stakeholders
- Source promising pre-seed and seed investment opportunities, develop and maintain deal funnel
- Conduct due diligence on potential investment Basecamp investments and participate meaningfully in the investment committee processes
- Lead the development of Investment memos and necessary supporting materials to facilitate the investment committee process
- Help develop and manage regular reporting on portfolio progress by working across the AVG team to track and support proper investment operations process from due diligence through liquidity events
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about AVG Basecamp and our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Work closely with colleagues at all of AVG’s funds to identify mutually interesting investment opportunities
- Assist with back-end functions as needed
- Contribute positively to AVG’s culture
If interested, please apply here.