New Media Ventures (NMV) is a mission-driven fund and angel network that invests in entrepreneurs and activists wrestling with the biggest challenges facing our democracy. We work to shift capital and power to benefit more people, and look to find, finance, and support companies and organizations that are telling new stories, building movements, and boosting civic engagement.
Founded in 2010, NMV is a pioneer in progressive media and innovation, leading the way as a critical research, development, and funding organization. We are on the cutting edge of new strategies and experiments at this key moment in our democracy.
In the past nine years, NMV has supported over 85 startups, from Upworthy and Blavity to Indivisible, Coworker.org, and Swing Left. Our annual open call receives hundreds of applications from the most innovative leaders in the progressive movement and gives us an incomparable view of a rapidly changing field.
NMV is committed to democratizing access to capital and supporting a diverse community of entrepreneurs on the frontlines of change.
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports to: NMV Advisory Board (referred to throughout as the Board)
Overview: The President will work to:
- Raise and deploy funds to capitalize movements for change;Shape NMV’s investment and grantmaking strategy to advance social change;
- Advance NMV’s thought leadership and share our expertise with the field;
- Build on NMV’s strong track record of innovation and impact;
- Amplify the work of NMV portfolio organizations in the progressive movement; and
- Lead a nimble, high-performing, and collaborative team.
- Serve as lead strategic thinker at the intersection of progressive politics, media, and technology, helping to advise large network of investors, traditional philanthropists, entrepreneurs, and movement actors on emergent trends, advocating for innovation and high-performing solutions that build progressive power.
- Serve as the credible and accessible public face of NMV to external stakeholders, including potential investors, entrepreneurs, and the press.
- Fundraise directly, along with excellent fundraising team already in place; marshal resources and partnerships to leverage impact of NMV investments.
- Support robust investor and donor community already engaged with NMV, and build scalable investor recruitment strategies.
- Systematically build the organization’s deal flow through strategic partnerships and networking.
- Work with strong investment diligence team to identify, research, and evaluate high-leverage investment opportunities, monitor performance, and assess results at key milestones.
- Manage a small, world-class team, ensuring successful organizational operations, including business planning, events management, communications, and revenue/expense forecasting.
- Develop strong Board relationships through regular communications, proactive strategic planning, orchestrating board meetings, developing agendas and materials.
Leadership & Strategic Vision:
- Lead NMV through a successful transition, receiving the baton from our long-term leader and moving with the team into the next chapter, as a nimble, innovative, scalable organization, positioned for sustainable growth.
- As lead visionary, oversee a strategic planning process in coordination with Board and team.
- Ensure high-impact strategy, vision, and mission even in a dynamic political and technological environment; leverage NMV’s stellar reputation, engaging both internal and external stakeholders.
- Serve as chief advocate and spokesperson for NMV; build philanthropic, investor, and entrepreneurial network; leverage public speaking opportunities.
- Provide inspirational leadership and management of the team; continue to nurture an organizational culture that is grounded in a shared vision, collaboration, feedback and accountability, strengthened by ongoing professional development and career advancement opportunities for all staff.
- Inspire, energize, coach, and develop a diverse team with multiple perspectives and talents; motivate and collaborate, actively seeking input from all staff.
- Plan and execute the allocation of available resources in order to most effectively achieve the mission and strategy of the organization.
- Ensure that employment policies, protocols and practices continue to exemplify NMV’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Lead diversified funding development efforts in partnership with the staff team and Board.
- Lead internal initiatives and team development efforts that enhance the immediate and long-term financial/operational sustainability of the organization.
- Engage the Board and provide resources and support that enable all members to serve as brand ambassadors and potential fundraisers for NMV.
Financial & Operational Sustainability:
- Oversee and manage financial operations including preparation of a comprehensive budget and operating plan that is communicated to all team members and to the Board.
- Conduct oversight of all operational functions to enhance efficiency, impact and collaboration; ensure compliance with all regulatory, legal, and funding requirements; ensure efficient and forward-looking data analytics, technology and systems infrastructure.
- Provide leadership on resource allocation and expenditure, aligned with the priorities of the organization.
- Serve as primary point of contact with Tides Advocacy, NMV’s fiscal-sponsor.
Board of Directors Relationship & Board Development:
- Engage the existing strong, committed, savvy Board by actively communicating opportunities, strategic choices and progress toward goals.
- Serve as a thought partner to the Board to ensure that relevant, accurate, and timely information is provided to inform and guide the board’s strategic-level thinking.
- Support and collaborate with the Board to develop, maintain, and recruit a strong pipeline of new and diverse members.
- Regularly report to the Board on the NMV’s fiduciary and strategic initiatives.
NMV sits at an exciting intersection of critical sectors/fields – media, investment, technology, politics, and organizing – and as such we will be considering candidates from a variety of backgrounds. While candidates with cross sector experience will be very favorably considered, we expect that some strong candidates will have expertise in one area and demonstrated interest, though perhaps not extensive work experience, in others. For a person with the right combination of experience, skills, and interests, leading NMV is an incomparable opportunity.
We are looking for:
- 10+ years of increasingly responsible leadership experience and a background in/demonstrable commitment to social change.
- a nuanced and sophisticated understanding of the progressive movement, although need not necessarily have directly worked within the movement previously.
- a proven record of innovative and sustainable fundraising and resource development, communicating vision and impact to diverse audiences (including entrepreneurs, movement peers, major donors, grassroots organizers, institutional funders/foundations, angel investors and political donors) at the intersection of multiple sectors.
- demonstrated thought-leadership and articulate subject matter-expertise, showing credibility in all aspects of their work.
- strong financial management skills; experience creating operating plans/budgets that support strategic objectives.
- Standout candidates will have:
- strong experience leading in the progressive ecosystem – either philanthropic grant-making, or non-profit/venture/political fundraising.
- early-stage investment management skills (from due-diligence/analysis/evaluation through investment execution/impact evaluation), gained in an angel, venture capital, private equity or corporate development environment;
- and/or fluency with new media and emerging technologies.
Skills & Characteristics:
- Combines strong leadership, organizational management, and creative problem-solving skills with commercial instinct and resourcefulness, in the service of social change.
- Gifted at relationship-building at both institutional and individual levels.
- Entrepreneurial, opportunistic, and visionary; responsive to a fast-paced, ever-changing, demanding growth environment.
- Clear perspective and point of view, but adaptable and with a high level of emotional intelligence.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, especially for external engagement.
- Dynamic public speaker; ability to inspire and be an ambassador for NMV.
- Outstanding mentoring, professional development, people management and leadership skills; evidence of leading change with positive outcomes; an inspiring and empowering team builder who engenders trust and builds group commitment to goals and objectives.
- Collaborative; actively seeks input from others, at all levels of the organization, fostering an atmosphere where ideas and information are easily exchanged.
- Analytical, strong assessment and diligence skills, a rigorous-thinker.
- Outstanding organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrates the highest standards of ethics, integrity, respect and humility.
- A sense of justice and a sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree, additional MBA or equivalent is preferred.
If interested, please apply here.