We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Our Company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, and vaccines, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Our Research & Development Ventures Fund is the corporate venture capital investment group within our Company’s Research Laboratories, the R&D division. The Research & Development Ventures Fund creates and/or invests in early-stage therapeutics companies, based on translatable breakthrough science, with the potential to deliver highly differentiated new medicines to improve human health.
The Partner Research & Development Ventures Fund, will be responsible for the full-range of scientific review and venture investing activities from deal sourcing and scientific diligence, through syndication and negotiation, through post-close deal management and board representation.
Full range of scientific review and investing responsibilities:
- Scientific review and assessment of emergent/contemporary biology that might be applied to the creation of new medicines
- Synthesize the biological case for an opportunity, through primary scientific literature review and consultations with key scientific opinion leaders (internally and externally)
- Create the scientific investment thesis for new and follow-on investments and present to the fund President and Investment Committee.
- Negotiate and close new and follow-on equity investments.
- Post-deal management – board or observer service; where appropriate act as the Company’s scientific interface to our Research & Development division.
Fund Administrative And Leadership Activities
- Contribute to establishing the fund’s presence, reputation, globally as a “science first” investment group.
- Drafting informal and formal investment recommendations for presentation to the Research & Development Ventures Fund Investment Committee.
- Representing Research & Development Ventures Fund at national and international scientific/partnering conferences.
- Other fund operational, financial, administrative or strategic responsibilities as required by the fund President.
- Required: Advanced scientific/technical/medical degree (MD, PhD, PharmD, etc)
- Preferred: MBA or equivalent relevant financial/venture/business experience
- Outstanding understanding of basic and clinical science, as well as biotech and pharma business
- Exemplary credentials and training in the biological sciences
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in venture capital investing (with strong preference for early-stage biopharmaceutical investing) or 8+ years in a combination of executive-level biopharmaceutical operational and investing roles– at least 3 of which were in venture capital investment roles, required.
- Experience serving on start-up biotech boards in director or active observer roles is required.
- Proven ability to independently source, negotiate, syndicate, close and manage venture investments, required.
- A strong and demonstrable history of working collegially and constructively with management teams and investment syndicates.
- Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time, primarily within US. Some international travel may be required.
- Rigorous, detail orientated life-scientist.
- Outstanding reputation among top biotech venture capitalists and entrepreneurs.
- Excellent leadership, mentoring, and team building skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Results / action orientation with the ability to manage multiple and diverse projects simultaneously.
- A true passion for early-stage, transformational science, biotech entrepreneurship, and therapeutics discovery and development.
- Ability to work effectively and collegially in a large, highly-matrixed organization securing support from others when needed.
- Unwavering commitment to trust-based, ethical business practices.
- Preference for experience in therapeutics discovery companies, with specific emphasis on early stage (seed, series-A) investing.
- Direct experience with company creation and/or start-up operations preferred.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Merck’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
Who We Are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What We Look For …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
If interested, please apply here.