Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grant making, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Through its Ventures team, CZI invests in innovative companies around the globe that are developing transformative solutions aligned with CZI’s initiatives while building scalable, sustainable businesses. Our portfolio includes leading companies such as Age of Learning, Andela, Bridge International Academies, Brightwheel, BYJU’S, Ellevation Education, Handshake, MasteryConnect (acquired by Instructure), Newsela, Raise.me, Trilogy Education (acquired by 2U), and Varsity Tutors among others. Our Ventures team also led the acquisition of Meta for our Science initiative. While our primary focus has initially been on Education, Ventures is also exploring venture and Strategic Program Investments in our Justice & Opportunity program areas, and will look to develop an investment strategy in Science in the medium term. Ventures invests both as a lead and as a co-investor, and collaborates with leading traditional and impact investors to achieve our mission.
As our Partner of Ventures, you will report into our Managing Partner of Ventures and be instrumental in developing investment and impact theses, leading the execution of new investments as well as actively engaging in the monitoring and support of portfolio companies, at times as a board director or observer. Aside from applying rigorous investment discipline to making venture investments, you will also be regularly collaborating across the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative on strategic projects that cut across our impact investing, grant making, engineering and policy work to advance our overall mission. This will include partnering with program and technology teams across our initiatives on decisions to invest, grant, buy, build and partner.
This role is for a highly experienced investment professional with demonstrated experience sourcing, negotiating and executing venture capital or growth equity investments as well as serving on boards and supporting portfolio companies. The successful candidate will be excited to leverage their honed investment skills to achieve our impact objectives, and to support our other strategies. The ideal candidate will care deeply about impact, especially through education, science, or strong communities, and preferably have demonstrated knowledge in one or more of our initiative areas.
To be considered, please include a list of transactions/investments and if relevant, non-profit or volunteer activities, within or alongside your resume.
- Full execution of venture investments including strategically identifying, evaluating, structuring, negotiating and executing new investments.
- Responsible for taking a leading role in running impact, business, financial, market and legal diligence.
- Actively supporting portfolio companies, including board involvement where appropriate.
- Developing investment and impact theses, measuring results and driving learning.
- Working closely within our various initiatives to understand strategic priorities and to serve as a resource in advising on invest, grant, buy, build, and partner decisions.
- Represent the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative in a range of formal and informal settings.
- Demonstrated commitment to opportunity and equity in the workplace and broader society
- Passionate about impact through education, science and/or policy
- Background ideally in venture capital or private equity; otherwise fund of fund management, corporate development, corporate venture, strategy consulting and investment banking
- 10+ years of relevant experience preferred (minimum 5 years of investment experience)
Impact experience — professionally or in meaningful volunteer roles
- Prior experience in education, science or our policy areas a plus
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills, as well as demonstrated business and investment judgment
- Proven leadership with high integrity and conscientiousness
- Demonstrated comfort with ambiguity, flexibility and resilience, as well as ability to thrive in a fluid and fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Poise and ability to interface with C-level entrepreneurs and fellow investors
- Willingness to travel domestically a
If interested, please apply here.