Shell Ventures, Shell’s wholly-owned venture capital arm, invests in promising companies that want to solve the world’s existing and future energy and mobility demands. We look for impactful technologies and business models that could be true needle movers for Shell. We are a true global venture team with hubs in San Francisco, Boston, Houston, London, Netherlands, China, and India, and we are committed to develop people.
What’s the role?
Our San Francisco team is looking to add an exceptional investment professional with a deep science background at the (late) Senior Associate to (early) Investment Principal level. As an Investment Manager, you are responsible for sourcing, evaluating, negotiating, structuring, and implementing technology investment opportunities for Shell with the objective to accelerate the deployment of new technologies in Shell and to help build new businesses, like in power, mobility or nature-based solutions. This role blends technology, commercial, and financial elements where the principal takes an investment opportunity from “cradle to grave” from scouting and delivery to implementation within Shell to successful financial exits and returns. The Investment Manager is expected to actively manage the investment as a member of the Board and/or Shell’s shareholder representative.
- Use your vision, curiosity, sound judgment and courage to find and deliver deals that can have a meaningful impact to accelerate the energy and mobility transformation,
- Develop external networks (e.g. with start-ups, VC funds, competitors, service providers) and internal networks to source and evaluate compelling investment opportunities,
- Lead all phases of deal delivery of the investment, including due diligence, transaction structuring, and negotiations,
- Validate and structure collaboration opportunities (e.g. joint development agreements, demonstration projects, investments, JV’s, etc.) that can accelerate the deployment in Shell or provide a stepping stone for a new Shell business
- Act as Board Director, observer, or Shell’s shareholder representative during the life of the investment (post-deal) to support the investee company to become successful
- Support Shell Ventures to further develop a world-class partnering proposition and reputation for working with start-ups and VC’s
- Be a credible spokesperson for Shell’s wider innovation efforts in communications with the external world (conferences, B2B meetings, etc.)
- Stay in tune with the innovation ecosystem, including new technologies, market developments, new investment products, startup world, and other macro-economic trends
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ work experience
- At least four (4) years of relevant transaction background in a venture, private equity, or a relevant startup/scale-up company, like in power, chemicals or mobility
- Master’s / MBA University degree from top tier program
- Excellent scientific qualifications and proven commercial experience, grounded in years of evaluation of opportunities based on solid industry experience and sound qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Up to date with external developments and trends in venture capital developments and practices
- Credibility and strong and relevant network in the VC / Startup ecosystem in the wider San Francisco bay area is a plus
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in the exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business. Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
Energy lights heat and cool homes and businesses. It transports and connects people and goods. It is used in industrial processes that create steel and cement for the world’s infrastructure. At the same time, the world needs to move to a cleaner energy system to fight climate change.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through the transparent recruitment processes, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you in finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
If interested, please apply here.