Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy. Are you ready to work with a purpose? At ABB , you can be sure you’re helping to create a better world. The business you’ll secure and the partnerships you’ll build will touch the lives of millions when they lead to sustainable power plants in remote corners of the world or improved safety for workers in auto plants.
ABB is seeking an experienced Investment Manager for our San Jose, CA location. The position will play a key role in our Technology Ventures team, where we partner with, invest in and accelerate world-class starts ups, while driving innovation, speed, and better outcomes for ABB, it’s customers, and society. Our team connects entrepreneurs to ABB’s technical and commercial expertise, infrastructure, global business units, partners and customers. This role will define and lead the vision and strategy for the Series Seed/A/B/C investments across robotics, industrial automation/IoT, applied AI, electro-mobility, smart cities and other topics relevant to ABB.
- Deal Sourcing via venture capital and corporate venture capital Network in the US, with primary focus on the Silicon Valley and Boston area (including deal flow management and reporting);
- Lead or co-lead deal executions according to local legal needs including full-fledged due diligence, closing, involvement of ABB Businesses, Termsheet, cap-table, waterfall, etc.;
- Critically appraise investment proposals including in-depth analysis of all aspects of business plans, including financial and investment analysis, due diligence, financial modeling and negotiation of legal agreements, preparing internal investment memos;
- Partner with specialist legal advisors to scrutinize investment legal documentation to ensure consistency with the commercial terms agreed;
- Manage investments (portfolio companies) including, as required, the attendance of Board Meetings;
- Deal with matters arising with investments, analyze issues, develop action plans, communicate with interested parties and resolving disputes;
- Network with peers in other (Corporate) Venture Capital Firms in the US as well as globally as needed;
- Educate and provide guidance on Technology Trends and opportunities to our Businesses;
- Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelors’ degree and 10 years’ experience in investment management or venture capital;
- 4 years Corporate Venture Capital or financial Venture Capital experience. Including at least 1 year as responsible Investment Manager;
- Prior transaction experience in an institutional Venture Capital or Corporate Venture;
- Preferred Qualifications:
- MBA or Master’s degree plus a technical bachelors degree and/or technical training; 4 years Corporate Venture Capital or financial Venture Capital experience. Including at least 1 year as responsible Investment Manager;
- Proven responsible investor (as the Partner and not the Principal) in an organization (CVC or VC) in closing a deal. This should include investing more than 500k USD per investment and responsibility for the due diligence and drafting of the documents like the term sheet in at least 2-3 investments (technology companies, not in the life-science sector);
- Prior Board Experience including start-ups in the portfolio of the organization (the CVC or VC);
- Involvement in exiting portfolio companies;
- Prior speaker engagement at conferences;
- Willingness to travel at least once per month in the US and at least 2-3 times per year travelling globally;
More About Us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
If interested, please apply here.