At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives. With $33 billion in sales, our 93,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is seeking an Investment Manager for its 3M Ventures team based in San Mateo, CA. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
Across the globe, 3M is inspiring innovation and igniting progress, all while contributing to true global sustainable development through environmental protection, corporate and social responsibility and economic progress. We are applying our science and innovation to make a real impact in every person’s life around the world. 3M Ventures, the Corporate Venture Capital arm of 3M plays a critical role in helping 3M achieve these objectives by externally scouting for disruptive startups, technologies and business models that are strategically aligned with 3M priorities.The venture investment manager position offers the opportunity to play a leadership role in these activities by closely supporting our most senior business leaders across the full cycle of execution of strategic investments, collaborations and partnerships.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Leading 3M venture investments aligned with areas of strategic interest across 3M’s broad set of businesses
- Engaging closely with our business leaders to fully understand our strategies and then partnering with them to identify, evaluate and develop investment and partnership opportunities that will help them achieve objectives
- Map investment trends, develop investment themes, build and maintain a pipeline of relevant investment opportunities
- Developing creative and highly tailored deal structures and processes that result in optimal solutions for unique project objectives
- Manage entire investment process as needed from sourcing companies, conducting due diligence and valuation, to closing deals and managing portfolio companies and board observer roles
- Participate in industry events to network with VC’s and startups to support deal flow
- General office management including organizing logistics for internal/external meetings and executive visits to Silicon Valley
- Forming trusted relationships with senior decision makers that enable effective communication and alignment around critical business decisions related to our projects
- Working closely with business and technical leaders to develop collaboration plans that provide value to 3M and partner companies
- Actively managing assigned portfolio companies to maximize the value of 3M’s investments
- Continually increasing your understanding of 3M’s unique history, culture and capabilities, including our fundamental strengths of technology, manufacturing, global reach and brand
- Maintaining a passion for continual improvement of our processes and organization and contributing to the ongoing development of our systems and people and overall success
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Minimum of two (2) years of active CVC/VC experience in a p rivate, public, government or military environment
- Undergraduate or higher degree in Engineering or technical field
- Strong knowledge of finance and experience with various valuation techniques
- Experience as a board member or board observer for a venture-backed startup
- Business management, strategy, consulting, or business development experience
- Entrepreneurial experience
- Strong technical skills and aptitude for understanding new technologies
- Strong financial acumen with the ability to translate complex business problems into financial terms
- Creative problem solving with the ability to work with diverse functional teams to evaluate and resolve complex issues
- Strong negotiation skills, with the ability to effectively engage directly with target company senior management
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to influence at high levels in the organization
- Flexibility and responsiveness to meeting tight deadlines
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Proven track record in providing novel and innovative solutions to complex or difficult strategic issues
If interested, please apply here.