A New Type of Digital Innovation & Venture Building Lab
We are a passionate group of accomplished startup entrepreneurs, technologists and marketers that utilize startup-based methodologies & tools to help large brands accelerate digital innovation and build new business ventures. We are not a typical digital agency or consultancy. Our focus is on helping our clients to discover, pilot and employ emerging technologies and business models as a means of solving core business challenges and creating entirely new growth ventures. From the use of drones to count inventory and machine learning, to increase customer retention to build entirely new brands & business ventures (and everything in between), our unique methodology and approach is changing the way that big companies build digital capabilities and create new business ventures. We are growing rapidly and looking for all-star-caliber players to help grow our team.
The role of the Lead Strategist, Corporate Ventures is a unique position that requires a highly-motivated and battle-tested startup entrepreneur, who’s ready to roll up their sleeves and get things done. In the Pilot44 Lead Strategist role for Corporate Ventures, you will function as the “co-founder” in building new brands and businesses (ventures), in collaboration with our corporate clients. Leveraging Pilot44’s venture building methodologies and tools, you will help guide new ventures from the idea stage through early-market incubation and growth. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Strategy & Research
- Work directly with corporate clients to understand key business drivers, challenges and future growth opportunities.
- Work with Pilot44 Research & Strategy teams to develop new business ideas and solution concepts.
- Work with both Pilot44 and clients to develop “venture pitches” that convey opportunity to clients’ executive sponsors.
- Create a high-level plan for developing the business through incremental test & learn steps.
Design & Development
- Leverage new in-market models to build and iterate early lean experiments that validate new ventures.
- Work with Pilot44 technology team and clients to assist in design and implementation of all supporting digital systems (MVP) required to support business ventures.
- Work with Pilot44 team and clients to design, develop and source manufacturing for physical products (if necessary).
- Work with clients to determine operational and manufacturing sources/processes necessary to support physical products (where applicable).
- Develop initial go-to-market and marketing channel strategy.
- Determine all required staffing and partners necessary for early operations of the venture.
Incubation & Growth Hacking
- Be the co-leader of the venture and a growth hacker helping to guide all strategic decisions for validating product market fit and managing early market incubation.
- Work with the performance marketing team to ensure correct instrumentation is in place to drive early market demand and to gather and analyze all necessary performance metrics.
- Ensure that the business operates and iterates smoothly and quickly, addressing all issues that arise in an early stage company.
- Ensure that the entire team is working effectively in the same direction to drive the business forward and to ensure end-customer satisfaction.
- Make and implement recommendations to improve or pivot the business based on real market signals and ensure that the client is always comfortable with the state of the business.
- This position requires someone who can wear multiple hats, manage multiple work streams on their own.
Desired Skills & Experience
While experience is important, a drive and desire to succeed is essential. Key experience and skills required for this position include:
- 7+ years’ experience working in early stage startups with demonstrated success in launching and growing new products, brands or businesses.
- Must have 2+ years’ experience working in a consultative role on complex projects and within large companies.
- Strong understanding of, and experience with, digital marketing approaches and tools that leverage performance marketing processes to drive demand and measure business success.
- Strong operational skills with distinction in two or more of the following areas: brand management, sales, manufacturing and fulfillment, or channel management.
- Experience in business or technology innovation, preferably in a digital marketing and/or related software technology role.
- Experience building and leading high-functioning teams.
- Must be comfortable with ambiguity and be willing to do whatever is required to make the business successful.
- Bias towards action and ownership with strong commitments to accuracy and speed in equal measure.
- BA/BS degree (Masters or higher a plus).
What you can expect from us:
- A culture of excellence.
- Passionate colleagues.
- Start-up environment.
- Deep learning across an immense range of technologies and businesses.
- Autonomy and the room to make decisions.
- A great culture for the fun and curious.
This full-time position is based out of our San Francisco office. Some travel will be required.
If interested, please apply here.