Precursor Ventures is an early-stage venture capital fund that invests in Pre-Seed and Seed stage companies. We make 20-25 new investments per year in hardware and software companies at the earliest stage of their development.
Precursor’s Investment Team Overview
We are a team of four, based in San Francisco. You can learn more about us here:
- Charles Hudson, Managing Partner
- Sydney Thomas, Principal
- Ayanna Kerrison, Sr. Analyst
- Marina Girgis, Analyst
Key Responsibilities and Activities
We are hiring interns to help us with some of our core day-to-day activities and strategic initiatives at the firm. There are two core areas where we could use help.
Responding to Inbound Requests
We encourage founders to reach out to us directly through our website; we do not require a warm introduction in order for us to take a look at a deck or learn more about a company. We ask founders to submit their materials through a form on our website. Our website form connects to our deal flow system and allows us to review those companies alongside our other sources of deal flow.
On average, we receive 40 new submissions per week. It takes about 20 minutes to review each submission and determine whether it is a fit for Precursor. As our interns, we will look to you to determine which companies you pass along to the investment team for further consideration and which ones we should decline to pursue.
We strive to provide timely feedback to the founders who take the time to apply for consideration through our website. The successful interns will be able to respond to all inbound submissions within 7 days. We will work with you to make sure that all outbound communications to founders are in keeping with our style and approach.
We have invested in over 200 companies to date. As our existing portfolio matures and we continue to back new early-stage companies, we’re constantly looking for ways to enhance the level of support we provide our portfolio companies.
In support of this goal, you will collaborate with members of the investment team on a variety of portfolio support initiatives. Additionally, you’ll support the execution of essential operational and communication deliverables and lead analytical project(s) that influence future improvement to our internal processes.
Toward the end of your internship, you will work on a research project that showcases an emerging ecosystem or industry that excites you.
Expectations and Compensation
This internship is intended to be a part-time internship that can be done by students who are in school or by others who have the flexibility to take on additional work:
- Target Start Date: February 7, 2022
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Expected Time Commitment: 15-20 hours per week
- Expected Availability: Specific work hours based on time zone and school schedule
- Compensation: $600 per week, paid twice per month
Qualifications and Preparation
The ideal applicant for this position will have some familiarity with venture capital or the startup ecosystem. We do not require previous work experience in venture or at a startup company, but enthusiasm for and familiarity with the industry will allow the candidate to maximize learnings and contributions over the 12 weeks.
- Current MBA Student: You must be enrolled in an MBA program, and authorized to work in the US.
- Positive Attitude – Optimism is one of our core values at Precursor. We are looking to bring on an intern who exhibits a positive, can-do attitude and is optimistic about the future.
- Curiosity – We value intellectual curiosity and are looking for an intern who enjoys learning new things and thinks creatively about how to tackle new problems.
- Problem-solving mindset – Many of the things we work on at Precursor are new problems to solve. We are looking for an intern who will approach this work with a problem-solving mindset.
- Strong writing and communications skills – A significant portion of this internship will involve communicating with founders, primarily in writing. Strong, clear writing is essential for this role.
- Willing to work independently – This is a remote position where you’ll get some contact with the rest of the team, but most of the work is expected to be performed independently.
How to Apply
The application will remain open until midnight pacific time on January 21, 2022. We will review applications and send out interview invitations on a rolling basis. If you are interested in applying, please do so via this form!