Kapor Capital is an early stage venture capital firm based in Oakland, CA that invests in seed stage information technology companies whose core business simultaneously generates strong economic value and positive social impact. Specifically, we look for companies that are addressing the lack of access and opportunity for underserved communities especially low income communities and/or communities of color, or are bringing about the disruptive democratization of a sector. Investment sectors include, but are not limited to education, financial inclusion, health, employment, and justice. Kapor Capital has more than 100 companies in its portfolio, including LendUp, Genius Plaza, Pigeonly, Health Sherpa, Managed by Q, Clever and Honor.
We are looking for a few great candidates to fill our 2020 Summer Associate class. The ideal candidate will be entering an MBA, MS, JD, PhD or a comparable graduate program the Fall of 2020 or, alternatively going into their second (or third year) or completing their graduate studies We are also open to individuals with a few years of startup experience looking to transition into a career in VC.
Candidates should have a strong interest in learning about the venture capital industry and a passion for start-up technology companies. All Summer Associates (SAs) will gain exposure to key areas of venture capital including financial analysis, sector due diligence, deal execution, and portfolio support. The summer will begin with a retreat designed to introduce you to Kapor Capital and the venture investment process. The SAs will complete projects aligned with their interest, as well as the needs of the firm. The Summer Associates will also work closely with Kapor Capital staff, who will serve as mentors throughout the summer.
- Review and analyze pitch decks and meet with entrepreneurs
- Deliver high quality analytical insights on various technologies and markets on a macro and micro level; provide input to investment team members
- Provide support for various market and technology research projects. Specific activities include but are not limited to sector research; analysis on investment portfolio returns; and financial modeling
- Assist in deal execution under mentorship of investment team members. Responsibilities may include helping to draft Investment Memos and reviewing legal documentation
- Complete a Summer Capstone project related to candidate’s interest and firms need. Past projects have included
- Helping portfolio companies create a welcoming culture for people from diverse backgrounds
- Researching what services other early stage VCs and technology incubators provide to entrepreneurs
- Sector landscape analysis and strategy recommendation
- Strong belief in Kapor Capital’s mission to use technology to close gaps of access and opportunity.
- Currently enrolled or recently completed an MBA, MS, JD, PhD in science, business or other disciplines. We are also open to non-traditional candidates that can demonstrate a genuine interest in venture capital.
- Demonstrated commitment to closing gaps of access, opportunity or outcomes for low-income communities of underrepresented ethnic and racial minorities.
- At least 2 years of full-time, post-undergraduate work experience.
- Desire to pursue a career in venture capital
- High level of confidentiality and strong work ethic
- Solid analytical ability. Must be able to analyze data effectively, interpret results, and extract insights.
- Superior written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization and to the larger technology community.
- Strong knowledge of Excel and Google Spreadsheets
- Bonus points for domain experience or interest in the Digital Health/Med Device, Education Technology, Financial Technology or People Operations Technology sectors
- Demonstrated success working with diverse teams (e.g. African-American, Latinx, Native American and LGBTQ communties)
- Candidates with knowledge of the world of technology startups as a founder, early stage employee, or other full-time role
We offer a competitive monthly internship salary.
How To Apply
In lieu of a cover letter please answer the following four questions at the end of the application form.
Deadline January 10, 2020
Duration 10 weeks
Please, no calls, emails, messages, personal inquiries to members of the team, or requests for meetings. We seek to give all applicants a fair chance regardless of personal connection.
If interested, please apply here.