Emerson Collective is a social change organization that uses a broad range of tools including philanthropy, impact investing, and policy solutions to create the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Established and led by Laurene Powell Jobs, we work to create new possibilities for individuals and communities. Our work is focused on advancing immigration reform, reimagining the future of high school, seeking an end to gun violence in Chicago, championing environmental justice, and accelerating cancer research and treatments.
Emerson Collective is impatient but optimistic, and bold but pragmatic in its approach. We are seeking colleagues with both the audacity to dream up new ways to improve the world, and the determination to make them a reality.
The venture team is responsible for investing in mission-driven technology companies that are creating innovative solutions to the world’s biggest problems. We are very flexible in terms of stage and sector. Examples of sectors we have invested in are: software, financial technology, digital health, marketplaces, government technology, education technology and digital media.
Role and Responsibilities
As a summer associate on the venture investing team your job would consist of:
- Performing diligence on our target investments
- Identifying great companies for Emerson Collective to invest in through thesis creation, market maps, and building relationships with founders and the entrepreneurial communities
- Working with Emerson Collective’s existing portfolio companies
Qualifications, Skills, and Requirements
- 1-3 years of analytical work (investment banking, consulting, business operations at a technology company, etc.)
- 1-3 years of investing experience or experience at a technology company
- Passionate about technology and supporting purpose-based entrepreneurs who are solving important, complex problems
- Enjoy analyzing data and synthesizing it to form opinions about companies. You are comfortable building financial models and valuing companies
- Thrive in entrepreneurial, diverse environments. You are comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course quickly in response to feedback
- Respond to new ideas, projects, and tasks with enthusiasm and a sense of possibility
- Collaborative team player with high integrity, work ethic and commitment
Emerson Collective is Bay Area-based organization with offices in Chicago, New York, Oakland and Washington, D.C. This position is located in Palo Alto.
The length of this summer internship can range from 9 to 13 weeks.
This is a paid internship.
Please apply through Skillist at https://jobs.skillist.co/job/EmersonCollective-SummerAssociate.
Applications are also accepted through email to firstname.lastname@example.org, which should consist of a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in impact investing and how your experience will allow you to be a key contributor to the team.
Consistent with federal, state, and local law, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, veteran status, or other protected category.
If interested, please apply here.