DBL Partners is a double bottom line venture capital firm and pioneer of the impact investing category in venture capital. With over $600M in assets under management, we invest in companies that can deliver both top-tier venture capital returns and enable social, environmental, and economic benefits. DBL has been investing for over a decade and a half with the belief that a company’s financial performance (The First Bottom Line) and positive social impact (The Second Bottom Line) not only complement each other but enhance each other to drive performance and success. To that end, DBL has helped usher in a number of first IPOs in the sustainability category, including the first IPO in the electric vehicle (EV) sector (Tesla), the first IPO in rooftop solar (SolarCity), and the first circular economy IPO (The RealReal). Today, we invest in and work with some of the best entrepreneurs, solving some of the most pressing problems in clean energy, conservation and resource optimization, agriculture and food, the space/earth nexus, transportation and mobility, and the future of work. Our portfolio includes leading companies like Tesla, SolarCity, Revolution Foods, Farmers Business Network, The RealReal, Mapbox, SpaceX, Andela, and others. More information can be found at: http://www.dblpartners.vc
The Summer Associate will work closely with senior investment team members and will gain significant deal evaluation and execution experience. The Summer Associate role is an invaluable opportunity to learn about impact investing and the venture capital business while embedded in a team of experienced investors and seasoned operators. The role is both great exposure – and significant responsibility. Typical responsibilities include:
- Guiding, performing, and synthesizing detailed due diligence of potential investments, including management, market, product, competition, financial, legal, and technology
- Helping to manage the firm’s internal new deal review process
- Assisting with the annual quantitative and qualitative reporting on the portfolio, potentially including the annual LP meeting
- Writing internal market research reports, deal summaries, and investment memoranda
- Collaborating with team members to research, write, and publish a White Paper on a relevant industry issue. Examples of previous reports can be found at: http://www.dblpartners.vc/resources-reports/
The ideal candidate will have:
- Have a passion for impact investing and sustainability
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to fit into a small but diverse team
- Service and detail oriented, and enjoy supporting others.
- Several years of work experience that translates into understanding business models, relevant technologies, or impact investing. Ideally this is in a related field (VC/PE, startup, product management, investment banking, corporate development, strategy consulting, etc.) with an emphasis on sustainability.
- Strong analytical and writing skills
- Intellectual curiosity and appetite for rigorous research
- High level of self-motivation, creativity, and comfort with lack of structure.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (The summer associate role is targeted at current Master’s degree students)
- Start Date: Preference shown to candidates able to start in May 2020. The internship lasts 12 weeks.
- Compensation: This is a paid internship at market rate.
- Location: We have two offices: one in San Francisco and one in Palo Alto. There will be frequent meetings in each location
To apply: Please send a cover email (not letter) expressing why you are interested in DBL and the role, along with your resume and LinkedIn to firstname.lastname@example.org