B Capital is looking for a Summer Associate Intern who will join us for the upcoming summer. The ideal candidate is a first year MBA student willing to commit 10-12 weeks to a virtual internship. Primary responsibilities will be partnering with colleagues to assist portfolio companies with financial modeling and analysis, pitch deck preparation, researching prospective late stage capital partners and intermediaries, and updating firm CRM systems. The individual will work across all four of our primary industry verticals – consumer enablement, financial services/insurance, health/wellness, and industrial/transportation. This requires maturity, flexibility, a willingness to learn, and proven record of taking ideas and quickly turning them into action.
Duties & Responsibilities
Portfolio company support
- Partner with portfolio CFO and Corporate Development/Strategy leaders to develop models and perform three-statement financial analysis of capital formation strategies
- Distribute and demonstrate best practices for portfolio company capital raising
- Track cash balances across the portfolio, while championing capital prudence and efficiency
- Assist with introducing, tracking, and progressing portfolio company leadership to key investors and service providers
- Develop portfolio M&A strategy, select potential target companies for portfolio company consideration, and produce initial financial model to justify strategy
- Proactively expand and extend B Capital’s network across top-tier VC and growth equity investors, service providers, corporate entities, and key intermediaries
- Enhance tracking of key ecosystem partners using internal CRM system
Capital market expertise
- Produce thought pieces on a variety of topics relevant to B Capital and its portfolio of investments (ex: global macroeconomic conditions, private capital market trends, debt vehicles and availability, cash management, fundraising best practices)
- Advise portfolio companies and colleagues on key financial metrics critical for subsequent capital raise activities
The ideal candidate has a passion for macroeconomics and capital markets, and a service-based mindset. They are analytical but balanced with a strong EQ and ability to represent portfolio companies to sophisticated private market investors.
- Proficient in building financial statements and models (balance sheet, cash flow statement, cap tables) using Excel
- Inherent understanding of emerging technology and the business implications
- Strong network among mid- to late-stage investors
- 2-4 years of experience in management consulting, banking, venture capital, private equity, or late stage startup experience in a strategy or corporate development role
- BS/BA degree in a relevant discipline and currently pursuing an MBA
- Exceptionally strong project management, quantitative, and communication skills
- Highly proactive, detail-oriented, organized and efficient
- Track record of advising senior level executives
Desired Personality Traits
- Innovative, collaborative and trustworthy with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Unquestioned integrity, credibility
- Passion for global-first approach
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- Highly accountable and driven with heavy concentration of grit required. We value and celebrate it.
About b Capital
B Capital Group is a global firm specializing in equity investing in venture and growth-stage companies that have achieved traction with customers. Through our extensive global network and exclusive partnership with The Boston Consulting Group, B Capital helps high growth startups navigate business challenges, raise capital and attract talented leadership at key points of their journeys to scale. With offices in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles and Singapore, B Capital believes innovation can come from anywhere. Our unique multinational presence and deep industry knowledge have enabled us to build a portfolio of startups in Enterprise application software, Infrastructure, Security and AI/ML, Fintech and Insurtech and HealthcareTech and Bio IT that are transforming large traditional industries across borders and geographies. Portfolio companies include AImotive, Atomwise, Blackbuck, Bounce, Bright.md, CXA, Evidation Health, Icertis, INTURN, Plastiq, Ninja Van, Notable Labs and SilverCloud Health.
B Capital Group Core Values
- Honest – We speak the truth to others and ourselves, but always with positive intent. We hold ourselves accountable, we are intellectually honest, and we are not afraid to say what we know and what we don’t.
- Open – We are constantly evolving, and always looking for ways to better ourselves and our communications, to increase transparency, and improve as a team.
- Trustworthy – Our people and the culture are the heart of our business. We are self-aware, supportive, and trust ourselves and each other.
- Humble – As we advance, we stay humble and never declare victory, knowing that every finish line is the beginning of a new race. When we operate with low ego, we are open to new perspectives, allowing us to learn and improve.
- Collaborative – We are one team. We know that no one person has all the answers, and we work to lift each other up, knowing that we are better together. We bring the best of our firm to every interaction, leveraging our partners. Our successes and failures are equally shared.
- Bold – We are bold and willing to take risks and understand that means that we will at times fail. We learn from our failures, we don’t repeat them and are constantly striving to be better.
- Persistent – To build enduring success, the long-term must prevail over the short-term. Sometimes winning in the long-term looks like losing in the short-term. We persevere, with the enduring perspective that our race is a marathon, not a sprint.
If interested, please apply here.