Acumen is seeking a Summer Venture Capital Associate with a passion for investing, impact, and technology to help support our growing U.S. portfolio. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone with strong investment judgement, financial analysis skills, exceptional energy, and a proven commitment to social change.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $125 million in 126 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
In the U.S., inequality and poverty are persistent barriers to progress across the economic and social landscape. To that end, Acumen America makes venture investments in disruptive, early-stage companies that are improving the lives of low-income Americans. The entrepreneurs we support are building market-based, technology-enabled solutions to increase access to high-quality products, services, and opportunities for economic mobility. Through our work with our portfolio companies, we aim to be a laboratory for entrepreneurial solutions to poverty in America. We invest in three sectors that we believe are interconnected and critical to helping low-income people move out of poverty: workforce development, health, and financial services. Acumen America is a small team based in our San Francisco office.
The Summer Associate will help generate investment themes, source new investment opportunities, evaluate and support entrepreneurs, conduct due diligence on transactions, and support internal projects to help drive portfolio growth. The Summer Associate will use his or her business skills to evaluate the market positioning, scalability, and defensiveness of mission-driven startups that aim to generate market-based returns and lasting social impact.
More specifically, the responsibilities of the Summer Associate may include the opportunity to:
- Conduct research to support Acumen America’s key investment sectors (Health, Workforce Development, Financial Inclusion)
- Meet mission-driven entrepreneurs to evaluate new investment opportunities and promote Acumen America’s investment strategy
- Generate actionable investment themes based on research, networking and personal conviction
- Create succinct investment summaries on potential investments; incorporate feedback from diligence sources to provide recommendations to the investment committee
- Conduct due diligence on potential investments to validate assumptions, including product demos, customer calls, investor calls, and market size analysis
- Research potential resources to support Acumen’s current portfolio companies in areas including capital raising, hiring, and business development
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum 1 year professional experience (exclusive of any graduate education)
- Personal motivation to build a more inclusive economy and address issues of poverty and inequality
- Deep interest in entrepreneurship, technology ecosystems, and venture capital
- Proven experience in financial analysis and modeling
- Strong investment judgement and understanding of competitive markets
- Understanding of venture capital investing, including terms, capital structure, and investment process
- Strong ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results in conditions of uncertainty
- Ability to present investment ideas clearly in memoranda to senior management and advisors
- A Bachelor’s degree is required
If interested, please apply here.