The worldwide automobile industry is facing an era of rapid change arising from the emergence of new technologies and new business opportunities. Hyundai is at the forefront of this change! Hyundai Motor Group (HMG) has established a new strategic organization for innovation focusing on AI, future mobility solutions, new energy solutions (EV, hydrogen and beyond, for automotive and other applications), robotics, smart cities, corporate venture capital (CRADLE) and advanced automotive technologies. This organization is creating business strategies, conducting strategic venture investments, partnering with other companies on new ventures, pursuing open innovation, and developing plans to launch future businesses in these emerging segments.
Hyundai CRADLE (Center for Robotic-Augmented Design in Living Experience) is a HMG’s corporate venturing and open innovation center to develop advanced future automotive technologies and businesses, and is leveraging its Asia, Silicon Valley, Israel and European based offices. To date, Hyundai CRADLE has made strategic investments in nearly 30 companies.
Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc. (HATCI) is looking for the Head of the Venture Investment team for CRADLE ( http://www.cradleinc.com ) which is a newly created role due to growth and globalization. We are looking for a leader who is eager to learn more about future automotive, mobility, and other key strategic areas for Hyundai Motor Group as well as extensive experience working in venture capital, strategy, and/or startups. You will be part of the team making strategic investments into promising startups and working in collaboration with our colleagues across the company. You will identify and invest in the most attractive opportunities that give early access to innovative technologies and emerging themes. In this role, you will work across all aspects of deal sourcing, evaluation, and execution, including landscape research, theme development, company prospecting, term sheet drafting, financial modeling, due diligence, negotiation, and preparation of investment committee materials. You will interface with entrepreneurs, other investors, and Hyundai stakeholders and leadership.
- Identify, hire, train, coach, strengthen and lead the Venture Investment Team which consists of venture investment professionals and analysts
- Develop relationships with executives and stakeholders in various divisions at Hyundai Motor Group to understand opportunities and strategic direction while facilitating discussions between the venture investment managers and these stakeholders to secure their support and endorsement of venture investment opportunities
- Understand the internal roadmaps of business units in HQ and modify or create investment themes to match those roadmaps
- Provide insights to internal stakeholders about trends in technology, markets, and business that relate to our strategic interests as well as insight and guidance on CRADLE’s plans and engagements with incubators and startup accelerators.
- Source investment opportunities from startups, VCs, CVCs, and other people in your network, develop and manage a process for strategic investments including identifying and pre-screening targets, conducting valuation analysis, pre-transaction due diligence, creation of strategic presentations and recommendations, contract negotiations, deal execution, post-acquisition performance evaluation, on occasion, lead in the writing of investment proposals and reporting to the investment committee, complete the process to close an investment.
- Work with the CRADLE leadership team to plan and build a world class innovation platform
- Co-plan and coordinate pre-investment assessment projects and post-investment proof-of-concept projects with CRADLE’s Open Innovation team
- Represent Hyundai Motor Company by participating in business events as a speaker, panelist, or moderator and support CRADLE’s internal innovation workshops and public events.
- Travel up to 40% domestic & international
- Master in computer science, engineering, science, or math and MBA from a top tier program preferred
- 9 years of experience in venture investing
- 5 years leading a corporate venture capital team, leading deal due diligence processes, structuring investments in a startup and managing teams of functional contributors thru diligence processes
- 3 years of work experience in at least two of the following roles: Corporate Venture Capital, Corporate Development, Venture Capital, Private Equity, or Investment Banking
- Experience serving on a startup’s board of directors, preferred
If interested, please apply here.