Sony Corporation of America, located in New York, NY, is the U.S. headquarters of Sony Corporation, based in Tokyo, Japan. Sony’s principal U.S. businesses include Sony Electronics Inc., Sony Mobile Communications (USA) Inc., Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC., Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., Sony Music Entertainment, and Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC. With some 900 million Sony devices in hands and homes worldwide today, a vast array of Sony movies, television shows and music, and the PlayStation Network, Sony creates and delivers more entertainment experiences to more people than anyone else on earth. To learn more: www.sony.com.
Sony Innovation Fund (SIF) is the Corporate Venture Capital arm of Sony, which has been actively investing since 2016 in breakthrough start-ups across the globe. With a clear mandate to identify, scout and bet on the next horizons for Sony, SIF has invested so far in 60+ in North America, Europe, Israel, Japan and India. With a broad and deep portfolio covering major ecosystems such as Mobility, Drones, Industrial, Healthcare, FinTech, Sports Tech, Food Tech and emerging technologies, SIF team oversees 2 investment vehicles – a $100M off the balance sheet fund for early-stage investments as well as a dedicated $150M venture fund comprised of a broad LP base for mid/late-stage investments.
Beyond the core investment activity, SIF team also actively supports the startups to grow their business by providing access to Sony’s business groups, and orchestrating collaboration on the business and technology fronts.
For more information, check out our website at www.sonyinnovationfund.com
We are currently seeking an experienced Investment Director to join our team. Key responsibilities include:
- Identifying and evaluating emerging industry trends and articulating solid investment thesis based on deep technological, financial and strategic analysis
- Leading the entire investment process from sourcing deals to executing investments
- Performing due diligence by evaluating strategic, operational and financial parameters, collaborating with internal and external legal and accounting teams as well as driving the deal execution throughout
- Collaborating with Sony’s global investment teams in Japan, Europe, EMEA and India to create and regularly update investment theses, industry landscapes and screen the best startups
- Managing and monitoring investments, helping portfolio companies with their strategic and growth prospects and exploring strategic partnerships between Sony and startups when warranted
- Developing and nurturing strong relations with venture, corporate venture and entrepreneurial communities
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Technology or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Must have 8-10 years of related work experience in at one or more of the following: investing roles at a PE/VC/CVC firm, management consulting, operating experience in strategy/business development/finance at a large corporation and/or venture-backed startup
- Deep understanding of market and technology trends to develop market landscapes and overviews of startups and incumbent players
- Strong analytical skills with ample experience in assessing businesses, technologies, financial models and valuations in both a qualitative and quantitative manner
- Solid understanding of VC industry dynamics, drivers and key players
- Strong negotiation skills driven by solid written and oral communications
- Self-driven and motivated with strong interpersonal skills
- Experience managing multiple projects at once while working both independently and as part of a global team
- Previous experience(s) in investments and portfolio management in one or several of the major investment domains for SIF is preferred
- All candidates must be authorized to work in the USA
If interested, please apply here.