Intuitive is the world leader in robotic assisted surgery. As the industry pioneer, we pair ingenuity with intelligent technology to make a positive difference for patients and surgeons. For more than 25 years, we have developed new, minimally invasive surgical platforms and diagnostic tools to help solve complex healthcare challenges around the world.
As pioneers, we’re not afraid to challenge the status quo and attempt what others view as impossible. We actively invest in our people to support their growth and contribution. Among our team, mutual respect, inclusive practices, and diversity of thought are a must — we believe a great idea can come from anywhere. Our technology has been used in approximately 10 million procedures. As we move into new areas and explore new technologies, we believe there is still tremendous opportunity to do great work in support of our mission.
Intuitive Ventures Description
Intuitive Ventures invests in and accelerates the digital, therapeutic, diagnostic, and device ecosystems of minimally invasive care. Our unique access to Intuitive’s industry-leading knowledge, care delivery innovation, and commercial reach, empowers us to cultivate the potential of startups that are advancing positive outcomes in healthcare. Through our inaugural $100 million fund, Intuitive Ventures is focused on accelerating the future of minimally invasive care by moving the ecosystem forward.
Intuitive has an immediate opening in San Francisco or Sunnyvale, CA for a Director of Intuitive Ventures. The candidate will work with the Head of Intuitive Ventures and cross-functional partners, to lead sourcing, due diligence, portfolio management and investing in transformative early-stage companies. The candidate will bring a strong track record in healthcare investing, proprietary deal flow in relevant fields and deep technical and operational insights from finance, venture capital, startup and/or life science experience. The candidate will be required to develop strong networks and investment theses, interact directly with senior leadership at Intuitive and manage due diligence processes and nimble teams. They will have the opportunity to leverage Intuitive’s deep technical, clinical and commercial strengths, as well as broad internal and external resources to advance deals and the ventures platform. They will play a key role in building the Intuitive Ventures portfolio and brand into an internationally recognized investing platform and contribute to development of a growing team as the group aligns to corporate venture capital best practices.
This role requires commitment to healthcare advancement in support of Intuitive’s mission alongside a deep passion to make stellar financial returns – incentives are aligned to these dual goals. The candidate must excel in a high-energy, high performance, small-team environment. This role will report into the Head of Intuitive Ventures.
This senior investment professional role will work closely with all members of the venture investing team and broader business stakeholders. Key duties include:
- Leading all aspects of the equity investment process for new deals and follow-ons. Activities include leading deal sourcing, thesis development, due diligence, financial analysis, term negotiation, closing processes and investment committee presentations for new and follow-on investments.
- Supporting in building Intuitive’s venture portfolio, taking an active role to provide portfolio company support and governance including Board Observer and Board Director roles. Active role in identifying opportunities to catalyze strategic engagement and collaboration and coordinate those engagements appropriately.
- Monitoring financial health and viability of portfolio and individual investments. Presenting options on addressing investment concerns and/or exit strategies, where applicable.
- Monitoring healthcare trends in key markets. Lead market landscapes and competitive analyses of investment opportunities in strategically relevant and priority sectors.
- Representing Intuitive Ventures through thought leadership and in external forums including attending industry conferences and venture events to identify prospective opportunities.
- Building and maintaining strategic relationships and networks with venture capitalists, entrepreneurs, and key opinion leaders in the innovative healthcare ecosystem globally.
Experience/ Skill Requirements
- Advanced degree in related business and/or healthcare discipline; MD/MBA/Master’s Degree/PhD preferred.
- 10+ years in Venture Capital, Corporate Development, Private Equity, or Investment Banking. Additional experience in Management Consulting, Business Development, Product Marketing, or Product Management/Development is a plus
- Preferably 5+ years of relevant operational experience working within a fast-paced, medical device and/or biotechnology company.
- Expert knowledge of the healthcare venture ecosystem.
- Project management/leadership skills to lead/manage multifunctional teams to evaluate target opportunities and produce high quality analyses. Ability to drive projects to deliver timely results and follow through on commitments.
- Experience and track record in venture investment, execution and portfolio management, including experience in Board of Director and/or Observer roles.
- Expert analytical and financial modeling capabilities with motivation to teach and train team members on best practice skills and processes.
- Deep knowledge of international healthcare markets, latest scientific and technological advances and disruptive business models.
- Proven ability to build relationships and influence key stakeholders internal and external. Ability to gain alignment towards common objectives.
- Highly collaborative. Proven ability to work with and leverage resources cross-functionally and lead team both directly and indirectly.
- Demonstrated executive presence with exceptional communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial drive. High integrity. Intellectual curiosity and strong learning ability.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
If interested, please apply here.