Located in Downtown Berkeley, A3Ventures is the innovation lab and capital investment engine of AAA. We anticipate needs and shape innovations to help people make sense of our rapidly changing world.
The Director, Acquisitions and Venture Capital will manage A3V’s corporate venture capital group daily efforts as it develops an understanding of emerging technologies and business models. This individual will lead research initiatives, manage diligence, and negotiate potential investments and partnerships with companies. To do this, she/he will work with startups, accelerators, entrepreneurs, as well as AAA’s internal strategy teams to help identify market opportunities and source opportunities that align with AAA’s strategic interests and investment themes. Additionally, he/she will identify M&A opportunities that align with A3V’s areas of interest. In this role, the candidate will manage a small team of highly talented analysts and associates.
- Lead a team of talented associates and analysts to refining A3V’s corporate venture capital strategic focus areas
- Manage the creation of market landscapes and research documents analyzing emerging technology areas and market opportunities
- Develop investment thesis based on market landscapes and AAA’s competitive advantages
- Source opportunities through a proven network while furthering AAAs standing in the VC ecosystem
- Oversee due diligence on M&A and investment deals, coordinating with entrepreneurs, other investors, and AAA stakeholders
- Generate investment memos and related materials for the AAA innovation council
- Make recommendations for investments, partnerships and acquisitions to venture leads and executive team
- Manage relationships with portfolio companies, including strategic engagements that may result in pilots, proofs of concept, or commercial deals
- Network with startup companies resulting in venture deal-flow sourcing
- Own and lead a portfolio of projects related to the CVC strategy, deal sourcing, and investment evaluation
- Provide oversight and corporate governance of investments, attend board meetings
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven ability to think strategically about products, markets, competitive landscapes
- Functional expert in technology, mobility, or connected home
- Proven ability to work independently, while managing multiple projects, often under tight deadlines
- Ability to present and defend recommendations to senior leadership
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to succinctly distill a large quantity of information and analysis for executive consumption
- Team player possessing a strong drive to achieve results
- Manage, motivate and coach a team
- Manage A3V Venture Capital Analysts and Associates responsible for; conducting research, developing investment theses, sourcing deals, conducting diligence, and managing ongoing relationships with portfolio companies
- Manage contractors, consultants or other specialized temporary staff on specific engagements
- LeadVC department recruiting including managing interns or other temporary staff
Education and Experience
- MBA from a top-tier university
- BA/BS from an accredited University
- 7-10 years of experience
- Track record of deal sourcing and investing; proven network in VC ecosystem
Why Join Us?
- Impact. Leverage the best of an established 115 year-old not-for-profit combined with start-up speed and agility to create real and meaningful impact.
- Recognition. We offer a competitive total compensation package including base salary, annual performance bonuses, benefits, and 401(k) Company match with additional discretionary contribution potential.
- Lifestyle. We do honorable work, and we practice our values: humility, integrity, teamwork, and service. You’ll have the security of a larger organization but you’ll move at startup speed.
If interested, please apply here.