Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 96,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
“A long-lasting career at 3M comes from having vision, imagination and the ability to see what doesn’t exist. 3Mers are groundbreaking innovators and it’s important that we give every person the space for disruptive and creative thinking.” – John Banovetz, executive vice president, chief technology officer and environmental responsibility at 3M
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As an Investment Director, in 3M Ventures you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Leading 3M venture investments aligned with areas of strategic interest across 3M’s broad set of businesses
- Managing the entire investment process, as needed, including mapping investment trends, developing investment themes, building, sourcing and maintaining a pipeline of relevant investment opportunities, conducting due diligence and valuation analysis, to pitching deals to the Ventures Investment Committee, closing deals, and managing portfolio companies and board observer roles post- investment
- Leveraging investment experience to coach and lead a team of investment managers
- Working closely with business and technical leaders to develop collaboration plans that provide value to 3M and partner companies, while forming trusted relationships with senior decision makers that enable effective communication and alignment around critical business decisions related to our projects
- Developing creative and highly tailored deal structures and processes that result in optimal solutions for unique project objectives
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M requires (at a minimum) the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Five (5) years of active Corporate Venture Capital/ Venture Capital experience
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Experience in healthcare and/or deep tech field
- MBA, or undergraduate or higher degree in engineering or technical field
- Entrepreneurial, business management, strategy, consulting, investment banking or business development experience, including strong knowledge of finance and various valuation techniques
- Experience as a board member or board observer for a venture-backed startup
- Strong negotiation skills, with the ability to effectively engage directly with target company senior management
Travel: May include up to 25% domestic and international based on projects
Relocation Assistance: May be authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.
If interested, please apply here.