Yamaha Motor Ventures & Laboratory Silicon Valley (“YMVSV”) exists to accelerate the efforts of teams driving disruptive change. We have the resources and backing of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (“YMC”), but we also have the openness and agility of a startup. We also manage the Yamaha Motor Exploratory Fund, a $100M dedicated fund that invests in exploratory areas such as mobility, sustainability, robotics, agriculture, medicine, and aviation (the “Fund”).
The Associate will conduct sourcing, due diligence and analysis of potential Fund investments and support the investment team in developing investment recommendations. The ideal candidate will help support the ongoing influx of potential investment opportunities, will represent YMVSV at various events in exploratory areas, venture and startup ecosystems, and will build a strong network to source potential investments and support portfolio companies. The Associate must be able to work in a fast paced, team environment.
- Conduct investment research, financial analysis and modeling of potential investments.
- Develop in-depth assessment of business plans and investment proposals to determine business model viability, industry attractiveness and strategic fit.
- Participate in due diligence process with potential investments.
- Develop investment recommendations and supporting documents.
- Develop an independent, value-added perspective on investment discussions.
- Build strong relationships within the venture and startup ecosystems to source potential investments.
- Build strong relationships with relevant business units throughout the Yamaha Motor group of companies.
- Communicate with senior leaders in potential investment companies.
- Support investment committee meetings, including the preparation of contact reports, investment memoranda, and supporting documentation.
- Represent YMVSV at venture, industry and startup events.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a science, social science, business, or an engineering field from an accredited university. Will consider candidates with Masters or higher post-graduation education, including those with MBA or MS degrees.
- Interest and curiosity in one or several emerging areas of technology or business.
- Ability to synthesize several, sometimes conflicting, viewpoints into informed opinions and recommendations.
- Ability to balance and prioritize several simultaneous efforts.
- Prefer 2-5 years of experience working on small technical teams, as an analyst, or in start-up or university project leadership roles.
- Financial modeling skills including the ability to analyze company financials.
- Strong proficiency in Gmail, Gcal and MS Office.
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and a driving record from the state of your primary residence that meets YMVSV’s insurance standards.
- Able to pass a seven (7) year background check
Travel & Location
Position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
Some domestic and international travel of up to 30% may be expected or required, particularly to areas such as Japan, Europe, and Australia.
Must be a local candidate. Relocation not available.
YMVSV is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
AT YAMAHA, WE ARE THE “KANDO” CREATING COMPANY
What is Kando you ask? Quite simply, Kando is an emotion that is best described as the feeling of deep satisfaction and intense excitement that we experience when we encounter something of exceptional value. We create Kando for our customers by offering them the most exciting and highest quality products in our industry. But in order to achieve this, we need passionate people who believe in what we do. Is that you?
About Yamaha Motor Ventures & Laboratory Silicon Valley (“YMVSV”)
Our work encompasses venture capital investments, portfolio management, innovation projects, and strategic efforts in collaboration with Yamaha Motor’s global operations. We’re active members of the entrepreneurial ecosystem, and we value action-oriented efforts. Some of the areas we explore include the future of mobility, sustainability, robotics, agriculture, medicine, and aviation. YMVSV is a wholly owned subsidiary of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. For more information: https://www.ymvsv.com/
If interested, please apply here.