The Longevity Fund is a San Francisco-based biotechnology venture capital fund. We invest in and build companies which have the potential to extend the healthy human lifespan. After the close of Fund I in 2013, the Longevity Fund closed Fund II in 2017 and launched AGE1, a biotechnology accelerator, in 2018.
We started The Longevity Fund to invest in science to prevent or reverse aging. To date, we have raised $37 million and we’ve been involved in bringing new science to the market. With our first IPO, Unity Biotechnologies, our portfolio companies are worth in aggregate an excess of $1 billion. Five of the six companies in our first fund have drugs in patients or healthy volunteers, which will read out in clinical efficacy within the next two years. These represent the first candidate drugs with the explicit possibility of extending healthy lifespan.
About The Role
As an associate at The Longevity Fund, you will work with The Longevity Fund investment team to discover, conduct due diligence and make investment recommendations in biotech companies at the cusp of longevity science.
You will be responsible for identifying promising and potentially transformational science and devising strategies to quickly and effectively determine its translational viability. You will develop a broad understanding of the landscape, with deep dives into the biology around select targets and strategies. You will consider opportunities and risks from the basic biology, to the competitive landscape and clinical trial design.
What You’ll Achieve
- You’ll source new investments by building strong relationships with entrepreneurs and the scientific community.
- You’ll conduct scientific due diligence and make investment recommendations on the basis of detailed research.
- You’ll support companies combating diseases of aging including cancer, Alzheimer’s, and osteoarthritis.
- You are technically excellent in at least one scientific field. Diverse backgrounds (bioengineering, physics, math etc) encouraged.
- You are mission-oriented and passionate about extending healthy human lifespan.
- You are excited to work with interdisciplinary scientists and engineers from machine learning, biology, chemistry and physics and ready to bridge the communication barriers between disciplines.
- You’re deeply familiar with the biotech and venture capital communities.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- You have achieved at least one difficult and technically impressive thing to date (this could be embodied in a Ph.D. thesis, but we’re more interested in the quality and execution of the project than in the letters behind your name).
- Evidence of high output, for example, published papers, contributions to an open-source project, insightful blogs or something similar.
- You’ve worked on an early-stage biotech company and understand the dynamics of getting drugs to market.
- This is a full-time position based in our San Francisco offices (in SoMa), though we imagine lots of time will be spent out of the office.
- You’ll report directly to the managing partner of the fund.
- You’ll receive a competitive salary and benefits.
- This role may require up to 10% travel.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to chat — apply here or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org