TDK Ventures, Inc. is a corporate venture capital fund that invests in startups to bolster innovation in material science, energy/power and related areas typically underrepresented in venture capital portfolios. Established in 2019 as a wholly owned subsidiary of TDK Corporation, the corporate venture fund’s vision is to propel the digital and energy transformations of segments such as next-generation transportation, robotics, mixed reality, health and wellness, and the wider industrial / IoT markets. TDK Ventures will co-invest and support promising portfolio companies by providing technical expertise and access to global markets where TDK operates.
TDK Ventures is currently seeking an associate to serve as a key member of the investment team. We are looking for a highly motivated and talented individual to join the investment team in San Jose, CA. This person will help research, source, screen, diligence, invest and assist the next cohort of world-changing technology companies. Associates at TDK Ventures would report to the Managing Director and would be involved in all aspects of the business.
We are looking for someone who is motivated and enthusiastic self-starter who works on own initiative with light supervision. The candidate must be confident and positive, high-energy, cultured, capable of easily interacting with senior management of a large multinational organization. The successful associate will be passionate about science and technology and will be enthusiastic about getting into the details of how a technology works in addition to explaining it to others.
1. Identify new investment trends and opportunities by performing market research;
o Source, identify, and analyze new investment opportunities by working with the team to expand its co-investment and corporate partner ecosystems
o Perform top down and bottom up market research that includes customer, key stakeholder calls and analysis
2. Deal screening: call and/or meet with prospects, evaluate start-up opportunities
o Screen deal flow, perform due diligence and financial analysis
o Execute new and/or follow-on financings, including deal structuring and financial modeling
3. Research and talk with technical/business consultants to evaluate the target company’s technology including IPs
o Perform research and analysis of new markets, technologies, competitive landscape, and share findings to the team
4. Help preparing internal investment memos
o Evaluate and perform due diligence on potential investment opportunities, including preparing investment memos
o Benchmark company metrics (engagement, retention, growth, scale, etc.)
o Review the underlying technology and perform independent competitive analysis
o Compare and evaluate products
The successful candidate for this position must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. The qualifications and working conditions listed below are representative of those required for the position.
· Minimum bachelor’s degree in science, engineering or technology; MBA preferred
· 1-2 years of relevant investment experience preferred (venture capital, private equity, startup, investment banking, business development)
· Interest and passion in working with early stage material science, energy/power and related areas typically underrepresented in venture capital portfolios
· Relevant science, engineering, or technology work experience
· Outstanding analytical skills, detail-oriented, proactive and self-motivated with ability to articulate ideas in group setting
· Proficiency and strong experience in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
· Ability to produce well designed professional looking PowerPoint presentations
· Ability to interpret data and provide relevant conclusions/recommendations
· Excellent project management and organizational skills
· Experience with cash flow modeling and investment valuation techniques
· Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills with proven ability to develop and maintain effective business partner relationships
· Experience in multitasking, handling multiple complex projects simultaneously
TDK Ventures offers competitive salary commensurate with experience, and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, 401(k), life insurance, vacation, and paid holidays.
CONTACT: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com