B2C Associate Job Description
Founded in 1995, TCV was established with a clear vision: to seize opportunities in the technology market through a specialized and consistent focus on investing in high-growth companies that impact consumers’ and businesses’ everyday lives. Since inception, the firm has built a track record of backing private and public businesses that have developed into category-defining players across internet, software, FinTech, and enterprise IT.
TCV has invested more than $16 billion in cutting edge technology companies including Airbnb, Avalara, Brex, ByteDance, EA, ExactTarget, Expedia, Facebook, GoDaddy, GitLab, Genesys, Mollie, Netflix, OneTrust, Nubank, Peloton, Revolut, Splunk, SportRadar, Spotify, Toast, Xero, Zepz, and Zillow.
TCV has partnered with companies across more than 350 investments, including mid-stage, late stage and public company investments, and has offices in Menlo Park, New York, and London. For more information about TCV, including a complete list of TCV investments, visit tcv.com.
WHAT WE SEEK:
We are looking for an Associate to join our consumer internet (B2C) team in late Spring or Summer 2022. As an Associate, you will play a critical role in all aspects of the investment process including diligence, execution, origination, and portfolio management. The team is looking for a balance of hustle, high intellectual / analytical rigor, strong EQ and team orientation, independent thinking, and a true passion for both technology and growth investing. We want someone who will thrive in a lean organization, operating in a fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment.
WHAT YOU’LL DO (ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES):
- Evaluating investment opportunities and conducting due diligence, including, market/customer research, business analysis, financials/modeling, expert calls, memos, etc.
- Our investment teams are lean, so the Associate role runs a core part of our diligence process
Thematic Investment Origination
- Identify sectors and/or themes of coverage and originate targeted investment opportunities in that context based on research on markets and companies
- Interact with CEOs and senior executives to build relationships, diligence their companies and assess their needs, and determine the potential for a TCV partnership
- We are competitive to drive the best results and strive to win as a team. Our team works together to help each other identify the best opportunities and we work in a flat and collaborative environment
Portfolio Management / Other
- General support of the firm’s investment activities, including participation at management and board meetings, and monitoring and partnering on growth initiatives with portfolio companies
WHAT YOU BRING (EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS):
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience at a top tier investment bank, strategy consulting firm, or other investment fund at the time of start
- Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent
Skills & Competencies:
- Hunger and tenacity; relentless in working past obstacles to achieve extraordinary results, habit of taking initiative to make things happen
- Passionate and intellectually curious about tech and growth investing – excited to go deep and pursue big ideas, open-minded and looking to grow and learn constantly
- Strong understanding of business fundamentals; ability to identify key questions about a potential investment and gain understanding of products, competitive differentiation, category creation, revenue opportunities, growth stages, management teams, etc.
- Critical thinking: ability to synthesize information into the right topics, and to discuss pros/cons with intellectual honesty and humility
- Strong technical skills and modeling ability; capable of doing analyses thoroughly, accurately, and with speed; use data to pressure test hypotheses
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH:
You’ll join a collaborative, lean B2C team with an exciting track record of activity and success. The team is currently composed of 11 team members. As an Associate, you will have a direct impact on the team and its outcomes. You’ll also be joining the broader TCV team, working with B2B investors on cross-sector collaboration and leveraging TCV’s broad platform and network.
- Ideally, candidates would be willing to work out of Menlo Park, but we are also open to NYC.
- To apply, please email Sarah Hartzheim at email@example.com