- Passion for emerging technologies, entrepreneurship, startups, and innovation
- 2-4 years of work experience (engineering, R&D, venture capital, private equity, investment banking, consulting, business analyst, strategy, research-related, etc.) after completing your undergraduate degree
- Minimum of 1+ year of technical analysis or research relating to deep tech (AI, blockchain, cybersecurity, IIoT / IoT, robotics, etc)
- T-shaped ability to perform a variety of horizontal and vertical research (primary and secondary methods) and synthesize a clear point of view
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively – both verbally and in writing – in English and extra bonus if in client languages (i.e. Mandarin, Japanese, Spanish, etc.)
- Proven record of leadership in a work setting and/or through extracurricular activities
- Exceptional analytical and structured problem-solving skills combined with the ability to clearly articulate action steps for solution implementation
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment while managing independently day-to-day
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization – both client and Runway
- Proven experience managing/prioritizing multiple project timelines and delivery consistent results
- Undergraduate degree in business, computer science or engineering discipline
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH
A Venture Research Associate joins Runway’s Corporate Innovation Services team and works directly with Global 2000 clients to accomplish their innovation goals.
When you join Runway as a Venture Research Associate, you are joining a fast-paced culture that will challenge you and invest in your professional development. In this role you will work on teams to help the largest organizations in the world ensure their longevity and business viability. You will also work with many entrepreneurs across industries and technologies, from industrial IoT and mobility to blockchain and artificial intelligence.
If you are interested in a particular technology or industry, please indicate this in your cover letter.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
You’ll work in teams of typically 1-3 team members, playing an active role in all aspects of the client engagement. This includes deeply understanding clients’ technical specifications and selection criteria, gathering and analyzing startup information, formulating and testing new business hypotheses, and developing and communicating recommendations. You will also have the exciting opportunity to present results to client management and implement recommendations in collaboration with client team members.
Activities include but not limited to:
- Researching emerging technologies and providing executive level briefings on the most up-to-date landscapes (white space opportunities, saturation, technology definitions, etc)
- Analyzing technology, industry, and market trends and synthesizing this information for client teams
- Scouting and screening emerging startups based on corporate partners’ specific parameters, innovation objectives, and investment criteria
- Reaching out to startup founders to learn more about their business, technology, and traction
- Attending startup pitches, industry conferences, and networking events for primary startup research and ecosystem building
- Creating weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly reports for corporate partners with startup profiles
- Traveling internationally for client and ecosystem development 1-2 times / year (often Japan or China)
- Presenting to senior client leadership
You’ll gain new skills and build on the strengths you bring to the company. Venture Research Associates learn quickly on the job and are mentored by our team and community of entrepreneurs. There is an expectation that you are a problem solver and have the ability to FIO (figure it out) with minimal guidance because of our lean team.
We view the Venture Research Associate position as the start of a rewarding, challenging, and highly flexible career with Runway. As a VRA you are the technical thought leader on client engagements. You will work with an innovation consultant colleague who will spearhead business feasibility and client communications on projects in a range of industries and technology areas. You will likely intersect with many elements of our company’s work including Startup Ecosystem and Event Services.
Career paths at Runway are flexible and customized to each individual. Following your tenure as a VRA there could be opportunities to dive deeper into research, thought leadership, technical implementation, venture creation and more as Runway continues to grow and adapt to client needs.
THE RIGHT FIT
- Loves researching new technologies, synthesizing key understandings, and creating compelling reports
- Can present and verbally articulate a clear, concise, and compelling point of view (PoV)
- Understands the key players of the innovation ecosystem (startups, venture capital, incubators, accelerators, etc)
- Technical knowledge – understanding of the basic technology “building blocks” for AI, robotics, IoT, Blockchain, etc
- Business acumen – understands implications (better, faster, cheaper) of implementing new technologies, partnerships or investments
- Comfortable with extreme amounts of ambiguity and very adaptable (change of project timelines, organization structure)
- Naturally strategic – can see both the big picture and small details within industries and client organizations
- Fast and agile learner – constantly reading and absorbing new information
- Strives for excellence and puts in the extra effort to achieve it
- Understands that having fun and being professional are not mutually exclusive
- Entrepreneurial drive and spirit – extreme ownership of projects and creativity in finding new solutions
- Team player – wants to see team success as well as individual growth
- Ability to work in San Francisco (minimal remote work)
THE EXTRA TOUCH
- Masters degree in technical field of research or MBA with technology undergraduate degree
- Visual presentation design skills ( Google Slides)
- Speak Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or Spanish
- Strong startup/corporate/VC network within the Bay Area
- Experience on a corporate innovation, R&D, institutional VC, corporate development, or corporate VC team
If interested, please apply here.